• avatar Stever@Edmunds 08/19/09 4:43 pm PST

Most of the minivan manufacturers have mobility sites. A net search for the "brand and mobility" would turn these sites up. That should give you some idea of the range of options available for the make you are interested in and links to conversion companies who may have used vans for sale that have already been converted with lifts or ramps.

Most of the manufacturers also offer a bit of money to help pay for the conversions if you decide to buy new.

Here's a few:

Toyota Mobility

GM Mobility (I guess they really don't have a minivan these days though)

Chrysler Automobility (probably the most common, and probably the biggest used selection of Caravans and Town and Country minivans)

Ford Mobility Motoring (again, no real minivans, but full sized vans and SUVs)

Answers

Here's a few:

Toyota Mobility

If you're looking used to save some money, why not look at used vans that are already converted to wheelchair use? Just checking ebay motors, I found 67 vans and minivans - lots of variety, with full-size vans and mini-vans as well. The Chrysler minivans seem to be the most popular among the minivans, with Chevy and Ford sharing full-size van conversions for wheelchairs. I've also seen them before for sale on cars.com, autotrader.com, and edmunds used cars. Good luck.

• rebop49 08/20/09 12:03 am PST

I appreciate some of the responses but I have an on the job inury and Workers Compensation will pay for the conversion if I buy a van to convert so I was looking for best late model mini van to convert + I was seeking to determine whether any mini vans can accomodate lifts for occupied wheelchairs rather than just wheelchair ramps ?

Also are there some mini vans that must be converted for wheelchair use by the auto manufacturer or can they all be converted by a company such as Accessoble Vans ?

The catch is I have to buy a van with 50,000 miles or less and 5 years or newer WITHOUT any prior modifcation/conversion and can't buy an already converted van

I don't think any of the manufacturers do conversions themselves; I think all of it is done aftermarket.

From browsing a couple of sites, it looks like you can get either a ramp or a lift.

And it looks like a wide variety of vehicles can be converted besides minivans, including PT Cruisers and Scion xBs.

Toyota and Honda minivans have better reputations, but I think I'd take a long look at a Caravan or Town and Country.

There used to be a great wheelchair forum I used years ago when searching for a chair for my mom, but the site seems long gone. Some of the support groups out there may know of a good forum where you can ask other owners how their conversions are working out.

• handicapvans 05/07/10 11:14 am PST

Most people choose the Dodge SXT wheelchair van conversion because it has everything you need at a lower price than any other brand. It's smart, economical, and the same minivan as the chrysler, just a lower price.

You can convert new or used wheelchair vans at AMS Vans with a low price guaranteed nationwide.

Source: http://www.amsvans.com

• megan07 07/16/10 9:51 am PST

If you're looking for the most reliable wheelchair vans and wheelchair lifts, BraunAbility is the brand to look at. Their products are more reliable than anything else on the market. Plus, Ralph Braun, the owner, is a wheelchair user himself and created the company based on his own need. I feel better knowing my products come from someone who understands the needs of someone with a disability.

Braun converts minivans with fold-out or in-floor ramps and will do an after-market conversion on a van with less than 30,000 miles. As far as lifts go, they're usually just installed on full-sized vans.

Source: http://www.braunability.com/

Top Minivan / Van Experts View More