• avatar rearwheeldrive 06/28/08 12:02 am PST

Is it a 4 cylinder or six?

Either way the cam has a mark on the gear that must be alignd to a reference point on the cylinder head. The crank should be at TDC for #1 cylinder.

Its easier to pull the plugs and turn the engine by hand, to align the marks . I use a straw placed in the #1 cylinder and when you rotate engine it will move up out of the cylinder and then go back down after TDC(top dead center). Right when it stops going up is TDC.

The cam gear position is usually at a point where the cam gear mark is at the 12o;clock position if you visualize the gear as a clock.

On a 4 cyl. #1 is on the right fender and on a 6 it is on the back firewall.

Start putting the belt on the crank gear first then up to the 3 o"clock side of the cam gear then over the top of the gear. Dont let anything move. I cheat with the slack on this side by purposely turning the cam gear a tooth in the clockwise direction this will allow you to put it on with some slack . Then when you turn the gear back counterclockwise you take out the slack, and the marks are aligned again. .

I think your vavles didnt get smashed up being out of time or else you need those too!

Answers

• rearwheeldrive 06/28/08 12:02 am PST

Is it a 4 cylinder or six?

Top Engine No start Experts View More