• avatar karjunkie 10/12/08 6:08 pm PST

Of course you can! It is an old wive's tale that you cannot change back and forth. One real concern is a very high mileage car that has used conventional oil going to synthetic. In that case,the synthetic oil might dissolve too much gunk, so it is recommended that you make the transition with 2 oil changes at 2K miles each so as to flush out the gunk. But that is not your case. You will just need more frequent oil changes at 5K miles instead of 10K miles. Make sure you use the same weight oil as recommended by the manufacturer.

The way to thank the people that help you here is to click on the “thumbs up” button on the bottom of the answer. Please do so if you find their answer helpful or they may just stop trying to help in the future! Thanks and good luck!

Answers

• snowflake808 05/06/09 5:22 am PST

of course...u can

• tmd545 08/11/09 12:56 pm PST

They are interchangeable. They sell synthetic blend, which is a mix of conventional oil and synthetic.

• eghtlugrolla 12/05/09 11:18 am PST

well if you havent done it yet why not ask a dealership an ask why not , one reason is syn tech is a bonding agent that cleans to cylinder walls an the engine needs to power wash internally to brackdown bonding agents or you can change back to regular oil an after 10,0000 miles buy a new engine...

• coolrunning 01/01/10 6:53 am PST

Considering that your Volvo has survived to 208,000 miles using synthetic lubricant, my question is "why change to conventional oil?" Obviously, the syn lube has protected your engine to this point, and although it costs twice as much it lasts twice as long. If the engine has always had syn lube in it, it is very clean inside due to the lack of carbon left behind by burned oil. Pure 100% Synthetic lubricants contain no hydrocarbons, and therefore cannot breakdown and leave carbon deposits in the critical rotating parts inside your engine. What little carbon residue that does accumulate is not the gritty, sand like carbon particulates left over from burnt oil. it is more like fine soot, a byproduct of incomplete fuel combustion in the combustion chambers. The lubricant (synthetic or conventional) washes the soot off the inside of the cylinder walls and carries contaminants back into the crankcase where it will be drawn out, cooled, filtered and recirculated. Are you really ready to accelerate wear on an engine with this many miles on it? If the engine is already worn significantly, (check the compression on each cylinder -- it should be between 90 and 120 psi, indicating the compression rings are intact and working well), you could switch to a conventional oil such as Quaker State High Mileage SAE 20/40W which is specifically designed for older cars with high mileage. Just remember, you are in for much more frequent oil changes, and the benefit of changing to convention oil is questionable since there is very little cost savings and a much higher risk of accelerated engine wear with a lesser lubricant. Volvo engines are precision built machines deserving of a high quality lubricant.

• romeothepom 10/26/10 1:34 am PST

no you can't! once you go synthetic you don't go back to regular oil!!! it might damage engine!! keep using synthetic only!

• wirenut2 01/12/11 7:07 pm PST

if the manufacture calls for this type oil that's what you should use

• pappy19692000 02/04/11 8:41 pm PST

yes there should not be any problems.ive not seen any problems in my 25yrs in automtive work.

• duracel 03/18/11 2:47 am PST

if this is what you want go ahead but the quality of the synthetic oil is better than regular oil but it is your risk ..

• alexe1 04/29/11 11:12 am PST

i wouldnt bother changing to synthetic. keep changing your oil regularly and you will be fine. synthetics will also cause leaks. did in every vehicle i used it in and in others ive seen.

• rgladue 05/05/11 5:09 pm PST

Regular motor oil is fine in a motor. I find it is good to start using it as soon as it starts getting cold out. Then change back. Synthetic doesnt breakdown like conventional oil as fast. but pricy!

• ehwhite84 05/09/11 7:28 pm PST

You can...however regular oil contains things that don't really have lubricating properties. regular oil breaks down faster as a result of that. As it breaks down the engine works harder due to more friction. More friction will cause wear on internal parts. Synthetic is manufactured to only contain base oil and additives that contribute to lubrication.

• smallfries 08/17/11 2:43 pm PST

I would go from FULL synthetic to half and half. Then I would transition to regular oil. I wouldn't do the full jump from synthetic to regular in one oil change.

Go to Mobil1 or another oil site and read the FAQ. Every one I've ever read says it's ok to go from synthetic to regular oil or mix them.

• shadetree26 09/19/11 11:09 pm PST

Amazing the answers...

Yes you can but there are several things to consider.

Check your owners manual and make sure the approval codes match your engineers specifications. ESPECIALLY if it is under warranty.

Also, If you change to a high detergent additive package (Royal Purple for example) and you have a heavy build up, you could create issues. Sludge breaking away can cause filters to plug temporarily making the engine knock loudly like you have a major issue.

Move into this cautiously and carfully, however the synthetics are by far the best lubricants, being the most consistant in lubricity.
    You will likely increase the bearing life of your car.

Also, you need to keep in mind that if the engine has high wear, it could create an issue. Old, poorly maintained engines may have enough "sludge" to keep it from leaking around the seals. Switching to a high detergent synthetic may cause leaking around the seals as it cleans.

If the engine is in new or even good shape I would always recommend synthetic over conventional lubricants.

Good luck and good driving....

• jeffhickman 09/28/11 11:01 pm PST

In most cases, the type of oil you use has much less impact that the frequency with which you change it. Even changing it often is of very little value, you just need to change it *often enough*.

• 87silver 10/30/11 11:10 pm PST

I changed to synthetic oil at about 65k mi. Slight oil leak developed for about a year's time, maybe for about 10k mi, but slowly went away. Always changed the oil at 3-4k mi intervals.

Source: Experience

• jimmymac3 12/14/11 2:33 pm PST

Some manufacturers recommend synthetic because it may have a turbo that is oil cooled from engine oil pressure for spoolup and cooler operation.

• ronnieb122884 01/26/12 5:16 pm PST

yes you can but like everyone else said why change back ive used synthetic in all my vehicles and i have not once yet blew an engine or had to replace ive got over 250000 miles out of all my vehicles with the synthetic oil dont change to conventional itll damge your cam... u might either want to stick to synthetic or be looking to replace your motor or cam sooner than u think!!!!

Source: ASE and I Car certified mechanic

• grizzly9 04/22/12 10:19 pm PST

1. If it is a Turbo Volvo I'd highly reccomend staying with the Syn. Oil. Turbochargers increase horsepower as much as 50% added protection is a good idea, and with high mileage it may smoke out the tailpipe if using standard oil.
    2. You do not need to change syn. oil as often as conventional so consider this in your budget.
    3. It is the opposite you would be concerned about... conventional oil to synthetic. Synthetic will wash away Gunk That might be sealing gaskets so be prepared to start fixing oil leaks especially with high mileage. Valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets and even cylinder head gaskets it will be costly.

• asdfg456 05/18/12 6:18 pm PST

I WOULD NOT CHANGE FROM ONE TO THE OTHER.. SYNTHETIC OIL IS THINNER IN GRADE. REG OIL IS THICKER. ONCE UR ENGINE HAS RAN ON FULL SYNTHETIC IT WEARS YOUR ENGINE PARTS A CERTAIN WAY. CHANGING COULD COST PROBLEMS.. STARTING WITH YOUR OIL PRESSURE AND PUMP ..

• jwlehrke 10/31/12 9:33 pm PST

Yes, I would recommend it. the synthetic oil is much slipperyier (if thats a word). It slips by seals and piston rings much easier as the engine ages or wears down. so you burn more and use more. If you charge oil every 3,000 miles all oils will give your engine 300,000 miles of life or more.

There's no evidence that more frequent oil changes will make your engine last longer. Fleet owners certainly don't do that. You can do just as well going by what the manufacturer recommends.

• goingplumcrazy 12/14/12 11:13 am PST

With that milage and you allready have the proof that a synthetic is a far superior oil. Its only downfall i have ever noticed is that i will use a quart between changes. And with todays much better built engines and huge savings in repairs from using synthetic. I dosnt break down or leave residue on moving parts. As a matter of fact both mobil ! And valvoline guarantee your motor for as long as u own it if you start using there synthetic before 10,000 miles and keep a record of it, of course that is from failure due to bearings or other parts wearing out. If you beat it or run it dry they can see the abuse.

Also all car manufacturers have now changed the oil change intervall to 6 months 6000 miles. So dont go by what they write on the sticker. I bought a new heme challenger to drive in the summer and the dealer would write i needed a change in 3 months 3000 miles. When the owners manuel says 6 months 6000 miles. Anyone i reccomennd synthetic to when they purchace a car. If they dont like checking the oil or are un comfortable with it. Change back to regular oil before 10,000 miles.
    They used to have detergent and non detergent oil in the 70ties if you ran non detergent and the motor becane gummy with residue. On your main bearings cam bearings and valve ;ifters valves and guides. And you changed to detergent it cleaned off the residue which was causing friction and slowly wearing out the bearings. Within 3 months the clearances were to big and the motor blew up.
    If anything i would change over to a high milage synthetic.

Source: PERSONAL EXPERIENCE DRAG RACING BOTH HARLEY'S AND HEMIS

Nissan says my minivan's oil needs to be changed every 7,500 miles or every 12 months. I use ordinary SuperTech from Walmart or whatever is on sale at NAPA.

This van currently has 182,000 miles. I drive my cars forever using the oil the manufacturer recommends and the service schedule the manufacturer recommends as well. Paying more for synthetic or changing your oil more frequently doesn't mean your engine will last any longer, and any gas savings you may see with synthetic will be marginal at best (.3 of a mpg better seems to be the industry norm) and won't justify the extra cost of the synthetic oil.

The van has lived in a cold climate (AK and the UP) and it starts just fine, and it spent a decade in a hot climate (Boise, where it hits 105 regularly) with the same oil as well. It'll die from a deer strike long before the engine oil causes any problems.

Oh yeah, mine never "uses" any oil between changes.

• dealerexp 02/24/13 8:48 am PST

Yes you can, dont let anyone say any different.

• arky6 03/06/13 5:35 pm PST

On my Suburban with a 5.7 engine I changed oil every 4000 miles. I was not "oil brand concious" I used several different brands including synthetic. I used synthetic several times hoping for better fuel milege on long trips. (could not tell difference) I did use 1 quart of Marvel mystery oil with every change. At 200,000 miles the engine ran perfect, had no oil leaks & used no oil. On most new Vehicles sold today, the Dealers want you to change oil at 3000 miles even tho operators manuel higher miles. I can only think this 3000 interval is only to get you back to the Dealership for chance of selling other work. R.L.P. retired Auto Tech.

• scanman1 07/07/13 5:53 pm PST

Yes of course you can and back whenever you want just keep it changed regularly.

• holyman123_456 09/23/13 8:35 am PST

Hiii... Yes you can Change from synthetic oil to regular oil in your 2000 Volvo without any problem.

• rickyd632003 12/29/13 4:06 am PST

synthetic oil is a joke. Change your oil and filter every 6k or 3 months, whatever comes first,and your engine will run optimally as per manufacturers specs.(regular 5w20 will work for any car..make sure you still check engine oil level after every 10 full tanks of gas.

I try to check my oil level every time I fill up.

Top Oil Experts View More

7. coolrunning 200