• avatar petworthian 12/15/09 4:49 pm PST

I can't see whyit wouldn't be. As long as you have good all-season radials, you should be just fine. Not everyone in the snowbelt drives an SUV, and they manage to get around.

Answers

• petworthian 12/15/09 4:49 pm PST

It depends on the weather and the tires.

I drove a minivan for 11 years in Anchorage. Usually I'd have studded tires on all four wheels during the winter.

Now I'm in Boise and I have old all season tires on my current minivan with not much tread left. We had 3 inches yesterday and I had to wait for most of it to melt to get up my long, slightly steep driveway. But it did fine on the main roads, even with the old tires.

Sugar today is relatively warm, running between 38 and 58 degrees. I'd think the roads would be pretty good at those temps unless you hit some storms.

I'd be happy driving a minivan, but you may want to pick up a bag of kitty litter on the way to the ski hill. And try to find a level spot to park in the parking lot; seems like that's where I always get stuck.

If you have good all-season tires and its just a bit of snow with no ice, you should be ok if you're careful. FWD minivans like your Odyssey aren't that bad in snow & far superior to any RWD vehicle out there. Make sure you have good tread on tires rated well for snow (see tirerack.com reviews).

Drive with lots of distance between you and the vehicle in front, keep your speed reasonable to conditions and don't try to keep up with speeders in SUVs and you should be ok.

I see more SUVs off the road after a snowstorm than minivans - must be the false sense of security.

Most all kitty litters are clay. A bag of playsand would be better.

Good idea about using sand instead of litter (I just happen to have cats so I always have kitty litter around).

Builder's sand has sharper edges than play sand so that may be an even better choice.

• bingxu 12/16/09 10:38 am PST

Thanks everyone for your quick response. I will probably need 2 new tires for the van (should work out cheaper than renting a SUV). Taking some sandbag is a great idea. Will defintly do that.

Thanks
    Suren

Top Safe Driving Winter Driving Experts View More