Answers

• stephen987 08/21/10 3:01 pm PST

The reason they ask for your driver's license and proof of insurance is so that they can be sure it's legal for you to drive, and that they're not going to be held liable if you get into an accident. It has nothing to do with your credit. In fact, it's illegal for a dealership (or anyone else) to run a "hard inquiry" without your signed authorization.

By the way, a "soft inquiry" (like the ones that are used to generate mailing lists for credit card offers) does not count against you in any way, since it's not a request for credit by you.

• jwilliams2 08/21/10 3:16 pm PST

When I sold cars I never left on a test drive without leaving a copy of the customer's driver's license behind. If they found me in a ditch and the car gone, at least they would have a place to start looking.

If you're serious about buying a car, you should not worry about letting them make a photocopy of your license. If you're not serious about buying a car, you shouldn't be there. I've gone on many test drives and never objected to having my license copied. I would be suspicious of the place that tosses you the keys without knowing you are legal to drive.

• isellhondas 08/22/10 12:43 pm PST

"Secret credit check"

How do these rumors get started?

They need your SSN to check your credit.

If you are serious about buying a car and not just a joyrider this shouldn't be a problem to you.

Top Car Buying Experts View More