Edmunds.com Staff Answers

• avatar greenghost Jul 27, 2009 22:18

What model year is your vehicle? If your model year is 87 or newer, you probably don't need to worry about manufacture date. Your model year should also be on your registration and title-- you'll need both to trade in your van.

Model year can probably be determined from the VIN (google search for a "VIN decoder" and enter your VIN to find out).

Answers

Try this website http://www.pronto-net.com/vin_app/vin.p
    hp

I think it's all based upon what year is on the title or the registration. That's what they are going to use.

but to answer your question, no, you can't tell build date from the VIN, but you can tell the model year.

If you have the idea that you can present a VIN number that doesn't co-incide with your title or registration info, and that the dealer will overlook the title error----I don't think that's going to fly at all. You'd have to straighten it all out with DMV first.

• greenghost 07/27/09 10:18 pm PST

• l_anthony 03/08/11 12:04 pm PST

I have a 2002 Ford F350 Super Duty and some parts are asking me if mine is pre or post May 2002. In particular the steering box. So manufacture date is still important. I would like to know manufacture date as well? Both parts tell me VIN with a K? Dah! Eight spline or nine spline box depending in build date?

Thanks,

LN

Top Legislation Cash for Clunkers Experts View More

1. greenghost 645
6. stephen987 130
7. colin_l 60