Answers

Where's the car's title? Who's name is on it. The name that appears on the title is the legal owner, unless it is signed off---then that person who signed is the legal owner.

No you can't find a person from the VIN---only the police or DMV or other authorized agency can do that----if you have a legal case against the seller, then your attorney can petition for this information.

But again, you must have a title or you don't own it. If you bought only on a bill of sale, that was very risky.

Did you check with the eBay Security & Resolution Center?

Online Car-Buying Fraud

Buying and Selling Cars on eBay

• 1cappenking 02/10/10 11:36 pm PST

i think it you go to car fax it will tell all owners at least regestered..

No, unfortunately, CARFAX does not list owners, but will show general location of where the car was purchased or serviced.

Once again, we need to know a) what papers you have on the car and b) what is it that smacks of "fraud" to you?

• 1cappenking 02/11/10 2:05 pm PST

THANKS FOR THE INFO.

• oi8abug 02/11/10 4:35 pm PST

Below is the email that really explains it all. (sorry for the caps). Now I am going back and forth with ebay to get my money back. "Supposedly" its in the process through their insurance agency that offers the VPP, and that is who this email is to. Believe me when I say it: Be VERY careful buying a car on ebay. I thought I was doing everything the way it was supposed to be done. Read on...

I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE THROUGH EBAY MOTORS, STARTING FROM PAGE ONE. I FOLLOWED ALL THE PROMPTS FOR PURCHASING AND ONCE PURCHASED I RECEIVED A COMFIRMATION EMAIL FROM
    'CHECKOUT@EBAYMOTORS.COM' WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PAY FOR ITEM. I RESPONDED TO THE EMAILS AND WENT THROUGH STEP BY STEP THAT WAS OUTLINED ON WHAT THE PROCESS IS TO BE FOLLOWED. I WAS VERY CONFIDENT, AS THIS WAS MY FIRST VEHICLE PURCHASED ON EBAY, THAT WITH THE VPP THAT WAS USED TO BACK THIS ITEM UP, AND THE FACT THAT 'XXXXXXXX' WITH 100% FEEDBACK, AND MY 800+ AND 100% FEEDBACK THAT THIS WAS A SUCCESSFUL SALE. I THEN WENT ONLINE THE NEXT DAY AND OPENED UP A CHAT WITH EBAY MOTORS TO ~CONFIRM~ THAT THIS WAS A LEGITIMATE AUCTION AND CONFIRMED THAT VPP WAS ON THERE. I HAVE IN WRITING ~TWO~ TIMES THAT BOTH REPS CONFIRMED THAT THIS ~WAS INDEED~ A LEGITIMATE LISTING AND THAT IT DID INDEED HAVE THE VEHICLE PURCHASE PROTECTION ON IT. I WASNT ADVISED UNTIL LATER THAT THIS WAS A FRAUDULANT LISTING AND EBAY HAD PULLED THE LISTING, STATING THOSE REASONS. SINCE THAT TIME, HOWEVER, I AM UNABLE TO REACH XXXX XXXXXX. UP UNTIL THE AD WAS PULLED I WAS IN CONTACT WITH HIM TO TAKE DELIVERY OF THE VEHICLE TOMORROW (FRIDAY 12FEB2010).

WEll sounds like you'll be okay then, aside from the gross inconvenience. So there was no "real" car, or you don't know what the fraud actually was?

• oi8abug 02/11/10 6:56 pm PST

Well, now the VPP company is saying I purchased it outside of ebay!! WRONG!! I followed all the prompts as they progressed thru the process and then followed the instructions on the winning bid email! OMG, this is a nightmare. I just sent off an email back to VPP saying there must be SOME misunderstanding somewhere. I can tell this is going to be a loooooong battle. I told them I am not going to let the matter drop until I have full restitution. I just looked up some attorneys in Seattle. Im waiting for VPP to respond after I further clarified it. stay tuned...

• marty_may 03/13/10 6:37 am PST

I was reading your Ebay motors story with interest. Ebay in general has put me off in the past too. What was the final result? Did they reimburse you?

Top Car Buying Experts View More