• avatar karjunkie 04/19/10 8:34 am PST

If the engine was properly maintained until now, you will not have a problem with full synthetic oil. 80K miles is not a lot on a modern engine that was routinely maintained. One word of caution: on the first synthetic oil change, change for a second time after the first 3K miles. This is because the synthetic may on rare occasion loosen up enough sludgy deposits that you want to flush it out early.

Answers

I use synthetic oil but the biggest advantage is in cold weather starts.

For a 17 year old engine, I might be concerned about seals drying out and starting to leak. Some partial synthetic oils contain seal conditioners. Valvoline high mileage is one (I'd be more concerned with years than miles). I have gotten slight seal leaks to stop using high mileage oils with seal conditioners, and I suspect they help seals before leaks develop.

• morin2 04/19/10 7:41 am PST

name correction: its called Valvoline Max Life synthetic blend.

Top Engine Engine oil Experts View More