• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 10/19/08 9:31 am PST

Well there are only three things you can do here:

1. Find the wire, clean it and tighten it and clamp it back on the old sensor and see what happens.

2. Put in a new sensor

3. If neither of those things work, then you'll have to check the oil pressure by other means, such as a screw-in test gauge or read it off a computer scan if your vehicle has that function in the diagnostics.

You have to be methodical in approaching the problem, starting with the simplest thing first (the wire possibility) and then moving on to the next more complicated thing (new sensor) and finally to the search for actual hard data (is the oil pressure REALLY low?) by using a test gauge with numbers on it.

Answers

Sounds like a bad contact that got corrected when you rehooked it up. The oil wouldn't have anything to do with it. I would just change the unit as the old one obviously has problems and fixing it is not recommended. A new unit is low cost and easy to install.

2. Put in a new sensor

• tek1010 10/22/08 8:08 pm PST

Persoanally I like to see on a gauge exactly what my oil pressure is. I think that you are checking more than just a light coming on, you are checking the condition of your engine. I doupt that it is a loose wire, the only way to know for sure is to use a mechanical gauge. Its really not very hard to do. You have to install a fitting in the port that the sening unit screws into. it connects to a small tube which connects to a gauge. You dont even have to install it permanently you can carefully route the tube into the car where you can see it. Check to see what it reads when you first start a cold engine. As you drive it will drop some because of the expansion of the metal in the engine.It will be lowest at idle with a hot engine. Without this info I dont know how to advise you. I have on more then one occasion used a heavier weight oil to increase what pressure is there.
    leetek@hotmail.com

Top Engine Engine oil Experts View More