• avatar shafotti 06/03/11 10:03 am PST

This happened to me. And googleing the solution was very unproductive so I decided to take stuff apart and figure it out. I fixed it. Here's how. First, other forums told me that pressing on the brake releases a lever that allows you to shift from park, and that is true. Then I was told that the mechanism that releases that lever is broken and you can remove the gear shift trim, press on a pink lever to release the gear shift. That did NOT work and besides, when I pressed on the brake, I still heard the 'click' and that told me that the brake/release mechanism still functioned and that I should look elsewhere for the problem.

Here's what ultimately solved the problem. I had to remove the gear shift housing. In order to do that, I had to remove the center console. At first, it seemed like a daunting task but in the end, screw/fastener removal was logical and the parts went back together in a snap. Still, my wife saw the project mid-progress and got scared. No worries, happy ending. Anyway, once I removed the gear shift housing, I noticed another pink lever that was never mentioned in any of my google attempts. This other pink lever fits in a notch within the gear shift assembly and should be released as soon as you push the gear shift to the right on it's way down to the reverse position but only if the key is turn to the 'On' position. This lever is spring loaded. In my case, the little tiny plastic clip on the inside of the gear shift housing that holds a 10 cent spring (I'm guessing its 10 cents) was broken. That's it.

So my choices were to either buy a new gear shift housing assembly for $300+ or use a dremmel tool to saw off the portion of the this pink lever that fits inside the aforementioned notch. I'm broke so I chose the latter. 3 hours later, my 2006 Pacifica was mobile again. So what's the down side of sawing that piece off? Now it's possible to pull the key out of the ignition while the car is still running. If you can deal with that, you can save a lot of money. However, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF HARM COMES TO YOU OR YOUR CAR BY PERFORMING THE SAME FIX AS I DID! But now you know.

Answers

Did you do what the manual suggested? This is an override to the brake shift interlock which requires you to step on the brake before you can shift out of neutral or park. If it will not come out of park when you press the pink tab then I would say it it is in the shifter itself. Do you hear the click when you step on the brake? The ignition key also interlocks the lever but that does not sound like the problem. One other thing you could try is to pull the cable end off the shaft in the engine compartment and see if the shaft moves by hand. The cable is a press fit on the shaft and can be pulled up. If you can't get it to work, disconnect the cable so you can get the car in gear and then you can drive it to the repair shop.

• kay3578 04/11/10 1:39 pm PST

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
    I tried it again and no luck.
    As for your other suggestion, I do not even know where to start as I am completely cluless on where anything is....

will the car be able to be towed? or it has to be in the neutral position before it can be moved?

Yeah, it can be towed with the driven wheels hoisted up.

• shafotti 06/03/11 10:03 am PST

• tony168 07/25/11 12:00 am PST

I had the same problem with my 2005 Pacifica. I was able to fix the problem myself with minimum tools. The most specific tool that you will need is a drill with a very small bit. I would like to help if I could, no cost. I understand how it is to have a used car and something goes wrong and you dread the mechanics bill. So if your not lazy and want to learn something I will walk you through it. I have pictures that I will post soon.Shafotti was the closest responder on this site that got it right.

• jbreit01 09/21/11 11:13 am PST

http://www.custombilletstore.com/produc
    t_p/1028.htm

This problem also happened to me. However, I found the part online that replaces the second pink lever. The new part is made of metal so the part will never break again. I made the emergency fix with the dremel, ordered the part, and a week later the part came. I am making the permanent fix today. Follow the link above to order the new part. It costs around 49.00 including tax and shipping. It will take you appx 2 hours to remove the shifter, change the part, and reinstall.

• dontcareo 01/31/13 12:50 pm PST

This is an easy fix. I know others have posted about the metal replacement part that shows a video on how to replace the "pink thingy". The video online just shows how to replace the part once the shifter is out of the car. I thought I would explain how to get to that point. It's actual name of the part is the shifter inter lock lever or also called the park lock out mechanism. It comes with a small spring and a plastic piece. It cost less then 8 bucks from the dealer. It is the same part that goes in the pacifica, charger, magnum, 300, etc. It's just a faulty 10 cent piece of plastic. What happens is on the plastic piece is a little hook that the spring connects too and over time it wears out and breaks. The spring flys off and makes it so the shifter can not come out of park.

The Chrysler part name and number is shifter inter lock lever 68088259AB.

So here is the video once you have the shifter out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QMSBpY
    ThI

How do you get the shifter out? You will need a phillips head screw driver, a small flat head screw driver, and a ratchet with a 10mm socket. I pull out the ashtray and use that to hold the 18 screws and 4 nuts that you will need to remove.

1. Start on the driver side of the car. Move the driver seat all the way back. On the side of the center console toward the floor mat there are 2 phillips head screws. Remove those.
    2. Move the driver seat all the way forward. Go into the rear seat and on the side of the console just behind the drivers seat is 1 phillips head screw. Remove that.
    3. Go to the passenger side and repeat the same process. So now you have removed 6 screws.
    4. Back to the driver side move the seat all the way back and sit in the seat.
    5. Open the lid in the console. There are 4 screws around the edge of the lid. Two toward the front of the car and two toward the rear. Remove those. Hopefully by this point you have removed all of your stuff from inside the console. At the bottom of the console is 2 more screws. Remove those. At this point you should have 12 screws that you removed.
    6. Unscrew your shifter knob. Turn it to the left to unscrew.
    7. Around your shifter is a plate. It goes around where you shift through the gears. Pick a corner of it and pry up. Work your way around the corners and it will come off in one piece.
    8. The plastice piece that is under that plate also pops off. Grab both sides of it and pull up slightly. You will see a wire connected to the underside. This is what lights up the P, R, N, D etc. To get this out grab the connector with your fingers and turn it to the left.
    9. Once those two pieces are removed you will see two more screws toward the rear of the shifter. Remove those.
    10. Toward the front of the two pieces you just took off and under and to each side of the front power outlets there are two more screws. Remove those. At this point you have removed 16 screws.
    11. Remove the rubber cup holder insert. There are two screws to remove under that.
    12. That's it for the screws. 18 total.
    13. Depending on how big you are the next step is up to you and what is most comfortable. I get on my knees in the driver seat. With my right hand I grab the rear of the console and pull up slightly. This is so you can see which wires run from front to back to the rear power outlet.
    14. Once you know which wires those are unplug the connector. Mine was to the fron and passenger side of the shifter.
    15. The connector plugs all fasten one way or the other with a notch or groove into each other. None of them just unplug. So before you start pulling on the connectors look at it to see how it comes apart. This way you won't rip the wires out of the connector. Typically a real small screw driver and prying on one side of the connector will take them off.
    16. Once you unplugged the rear power outlet connector you will need to grab each side of the connector and pull up. It is fastened to the piece below and will pop up with slight preassure.
    17. At this point you will need to see if any other wires are connected to the underside of the console. Pull up slightly from the rear and have a look. This really depends on what options came on your car. Heated seats, fog lights, etc.
    18. Once all wires are unplugged from the console pull it straight up and to the back and set it in the back seats.
    19. Take your ratchet and 10mm socket and remove the 4 nuts at all four corners of the shifter.
    20. Looking down on the shifter you will see two cables. The one on the right hooks to the shifter on the side. Grab the end on the shifter and pull toward the passenger seat. Should pop right off.
    21. The cable on the left is a steel cable with a little ball on the end that sits just inside "that pink plastic thingy". Pick the whole shifter assembly up and toward the front of the car. This should give you slack in that cable to take it out.
    22. Those two cables are connnected to the shifter assembly toward the front as well. Those clips pull straight up and come off of the plastic shroud on the shifter.
    23. There is a plug toward the rear of the shifter that needs to be removed.
    24. Now your shifter will pull straight up and out of the console.
    The video link I included above will show how to replace the defective part. To put everything back just follow these steps in reverse. Start to finish this took me 45 minutes and cost me less then 8 bucks from the dealer.

There are places online that you can get the part for 5 or 6 bucks like here:
    http://www.factorymoparparts.com/680882
    59ab.html

But by the time you add on shipping it is still cheaper at the dealership.

Here is a link to the console parts you will be removing to give you an idea of how they go together
    http://autopartsoem.net/chryslerparts/2
    005-chrysler-pacifica-parts.html

Hope this helps.

• huskydad11 07/01/13 2:55 pm PST

I followed dontcareo's instructions above to the T and it all worked perfectly! (Thanks for the detailed steps.) I had taken everything out/apart yesterday (Sunday) and couldn't do much more since dealerships are closed on Sundays. Went this morning and bought 2 of the kits (a second one since I was already there and who knows when it will break again in the future). Each kit was about $7. I saw do-it-yourself, home-made fixes on YouTube, but figured it was easier just going to the dealership.

Spent a few minutes during lunch to install the new "plastic thingy" and spring. Then snapped the cover back on and tested it out...bingo. Now will put it all together after work. Don't foresee any problems there, since I'll be doing everything in reverse order per Dontcareo's steps.

Weird how a little broken piece of plastic can knock my Pacifica out of commission. Wish I had a metal replacement instead of another plastic one.

• rdtaylor109 08/02/13 12:59 pm PST

Read dontcareo's instructions a couple of times, bought the part for $12 and went to work. Took about 30 minutes to disassemble, another 15 minutes to get the replacement part installed and about a half hour to reassemble. Works like a champ.

btw-the trickiest part of the project for me was to make sure the new plastic piece was lined up correctly with the shifter mechanism. It took 2 attempts to get it right. Luckily, I tested the shifter assembly prior to putting it back in the car, just to make sure it would release.

Also, the shifter knob was a little stubborn to unscrew at first. But, eventually, it did turn...

• martywj 08/12/13 1:40 pm PST

We, my wife and I, did dontcareo's fix today on our 2006 Pacifica, and everything went perfect. We did exactly per his instructions, in fact I even printed a copy out to follow along. Cost was $8.34 and about 3 hours of our time. Time included driving to the dealer to get the part and eating breakfast.

Thanks for the help on this, saved a couple of retirees about $300+ that it would have cost us for the repair.

Marty

• krowned1 01/06/14 9:24 am PST

Top Transmission Automatic Experts View More

4. fordfan_17 830