• avatar pscheid 12/04/09 11:11 pm PST

Why on earth are you worried about having this repair done and the cost? The other driver was negligent, damaged your wife's car , is insured, and should be expected to make you as whole as you were before the accident.. If you want to drive around in a damaged vehicle, even if only aesthetic, or eat the difference when you either trade or sell the vehicle, that is your business.

This exact thing happened to me in a 1998 Aurora. Rear ended while stopped. That woman wasn't paying attention either. The insurance company for the other driver agreed to pay for to the cover replacement (no damage was found underneath). Apparently the cost to replace was less than a body shop repair of the existing cover because of the labor involved filling in any imperfections before repainting. So I received a replacement. And they matched the paint beautifully.

Accidents happen. But that is what insurance is for. I would like to think that when folks have to pay for their mistakes behind the wheel of a car, they might take that as a wake-up call and pay closer attention the next time. They are driving the equivalent of a 3,500 pound weapon and they weren't watching?!? You are fortunate that your wife was not injured, or anyone else for that matter.

Get it fixed. At the very least your wife deserves a good looking ride.

Answers

The bumper has a vinyl "skin", and IMO unless it is visibly cracked it could probably be repaired and painted for a lot less than $775. You might ask around the dealership as to who repairs their bumpers in their used car lot.

• pscheid 12/04/09 11:11 pm PST

• pscheid 12/04/09 11:14 pm PST

Almost forgot.....the rear fascia replacement on the Aurora came to $680.

• tony78 12/04/09 11:36 pm PST

1. Has the vinyl cladding really been compromised ? Since superman is the only one i know with x-ray vision and he just happens to be out with lois lane tonight, i will answer in his place: yes it is.

2. If you don't want to ask the driver at fault to pay $ 755.00 dollars, would you feel more comfortable asking the driver at fault for, let's say,,$ 750.00 dollars, good, glad thats settled.

Next question please.

• pscheid 12/05/09 7:54 am PST

My apologies if the tone of my response sounded angry. I am angry. My wife and I attended the services last weekend for a friend who was run over and killed by a "distracted" driver. There is little consolation in the consequences the driver faces. And I think about the continued pain and suffering my friend's family, the driver, and the driver's family must now endure during the equally tragic aftermath. Similar to your wife's accident, that incident was a low speed one. It simply didn't have to happen. Everyone loses on this one. Money or insurance can't fix it or bring my friend back. Again, I am sorry.

Top Toyota Camry Experts View More