• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 01/12/11 4:26 pm PST

You should probably get a second opinion from say an independent shop that specializes in Japanese cars. There are ways to test a pump for leaks or wear.

Answers

• patrick88 01/12/11 6:45 pm PST

I agree with Mr. Shiftright. Get another opinion. Have you checked to see if there is coolant circulation?

• mpw101 01/12/11 7:34 pm PST

In response to patrick88: I would have no idea how to do this. I know nothing about car engines. I just thought a well maintained water pump would last longer than 5.5 years or 37000 miles. I also thought water leaks around the nuts would be wet not dry. It just did not make sense to me. The dealer tech did not test the water pump. They said that would just be an added expense on me. Their recommendation was based on white/pink powdery substance on bolts.

• 0patience 01/12/11 7:39 pm PST

Agree with getting second opinion.
    Residue on the bolts isn't much to go on.
    Even if there is coolant showing up on the bolts, it doesn't mean that the pump is failing. It only means that it is possible that coolant is getting by the gasket.

As for a sudden failure, not likely.
    I'd check around and see how much an indy shop would charge for pressure testing the cooling system to see if it is actually leaking.

• patrick88 01/12/11 9:49 pm PST

Also agree with opatience. I was going to suggest a pressure test also but forgot. I seriously doubt like he said, that a sudden failure will happen (but after saying that it will with my luck :) ). You are right a well maintained wp should last a long time but even the best maintence will not guarentee a long lasting part. I would check the circulation by feeling the hoses after the thermostat opens to see if there is good flow and pressure test it. The residue on the bolts could be corrossion and residue from other parts.

• mpw101 01/14/11 3:27 pm PST

Thank you for all your help. I did get a second opinion from a repair shop that handles Japanese cars. They were very nice. They agreed it was leaking but very little. They thought it might be a flat spot in the drive shaft (I think I got the terms right) and every time it rotates around it sprays a mist of coolant which instantly dries from the heat of the engine. Not critical but the pump is going and a long trip without replacing it not advised. They did not think such a tiny leak would show up in a pressure test as it also was related to revolutions of the drive shaft.
    I will keep the appt to get it replaced.

Top Toyota Corolla Experts View More

5. mcdawgg 210