• avatar Stever@Edmunds 08/27/10 5:46 pm PST

Since they vary so much - from zero to way too much, as in your case, Edmunds doesn't try to track them (or local and state taxes, or registration or license fees). There's no good reason why the DMV documentation can't be done electronically and there's no good reason for the prices dealers charge - other than it's a big profit center for them.

One way to avoid haggling over them is to ask your salesperson for an out the door price. And then just bargain over that one number.

Out the Door Pricing Questions

Answers

No it's not calculated as this is not a legitimate fee but simply a markup by the dealer. I live in Florida too and I know what you mean but I have always refused to pay it or use it in my negotiations.

Out the Door Pricing Questions

They charge it because customers continue to pay it. Refuse to pay it - or offer the $100 that some states have set by law as the maximum doc fee allowed. If they don't remove the excessive charge, buy out of state, or go on vacation out of state and drive your new car home.

FL might just be the most customer-unfriendly state in which to buy a new car. That's why Floridians fly to out of state dealers. Check the prices at www.fitzmall.com . I'm not affiliated with them except as a satisfied customer. No games, low internet pricing, and $99 doc fee. I met some people there who had flown in just to pick up their car. I think they even have some FL dealerships. Check with your DMV or MVA first to ask about sales/excise taxes and fees.

And by all means, complain to your elected state senator or delegate about fixing something that many other states have outlawed long ago.

• pantera5 08/28/10 7:55 am PST

pure profit!!! Refuse the deal and they will drop price or do away with it.

• jb_turner 08/29/10 12:13 am PST

Just shop OTD... we all pay it.

• isellhondas 08/29/10 5:22 pm PST

I wouldn't call doc Fees "pure" profit.

The stores have a staff that takes care of all of the long and tedious paperwork involved in selling a car. These people have to be paid.

Buyers are squeezing every last dime out of car deals and the stores have to make some money somewhere. Some doc fees I've seen are way out of line but I think 100=200 dollars is reasnoble.

Doc fees are a lot like Dove soap. 99.4% pure profit.

The big staff in the back is the poor slob who get dumped on by the F&I manager to run stuff to DVM for $8 an hour.

Anything over $50 is suspect.

• anneinfl 09/01/10 11:31 am PST

According to AAA you have to pay it. There's no getting around the doc fee. Mine was actually already pre-printed on my contract in BOLD.

You "get around it" by finding out what the doc fee is, and then take that amount off what you think you'd like to pay for the car. Then throw in your taxes to get your bottom line "out the door" number.

That way you just negotiate that one number and ignore the rest, since you don't care how the dealer breaks our the numbers on their paperwork.

If you do the deal for an OTD price and then the dealer slaps a contract in front of you with an additional doc fee on it that loads up the price, simply get up and walk out. There's plenty of shiny new cars down the road or in the adjoining town.

Top Car Buying Fees Experts View More