Answers

Okay, on your 1998 Durango, this error code could be any number of things. You could have:

open or shorted 5 volt supply circuit
    open sensor ground
    open or shorted signal circuit
    excessive crankshaft or camshaft sensor clearance
    damaged CRK or CMP sensor rotating component
    defective sensor
    defective PCM module

• stubud 05/26/10 11:05 pm PST

I had the exact same thing happen with the same code immediately after replacing the transmission the second time on our 99 Durango w/ 5.2. The first time I replaced trans. the engine ran fine but messed up torque converter and had to do it again. I doubt it is the PCM problem since I have never had any issues with it and truck was running perfectly after 1st install. I am just starting to t-shoot and research. Did your problem start immediately after trans. was replaced or did it run fine for awhile ?

• dhead93 05/27/10 7:50 am PST

Problem started right after we replaced the tranny, torque converter and O2 sensor. It ran fine before hand. I think personally it is something with the O2 sensor. A local garage told me to unhook the ERG valve and plug it, if that solves the problem it is the O2 sensor.

• stubud 05/31/10 8:58 pm PST

My problem ended up being the CKP/ Crank Position Sensor. It was a little cracked and wires were a little tweaked. The part was about $45 at Pep Boys. You need to remove the passenger inner plastic fender to gain access to the sensor. CKP is mounted between engine block and trans. behind the trans. dipstick tube. There are two bolts with allen heads. Three wire connection: Red, Green, Black.

NOTE: When my nephew replaced his trans it ran rough right after also. His just needed a fresh battery and then ran fine.

• dhead93 06/03/10 5:27 am PST

My CKP is rubbing on my torque converter.....is there a way to "shim" it that it wont hit it and still work? We move it around different ways and the durango will run, but to keep it running it is hitting the converter and it is scraping the end right off of it........HELP