• avatar Stever@Edmunds 01/16/09 8:44 pm PST

The Prius comes with a pretty good collection of factory warranties:

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
    Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.
    Hybrid Component: 8 yr. / 100,000 mi.
    Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.

At best you are buying a 3 year warranty on the non-drivetrain components (like sensors perhaps or the radio).

Usually you can buy a warranty right up until the factory warranty is over. You may want to wait a couple of years and see how the car is holding up before buying an extended warranty.

Answers

• 0patience 01/16/09 8:23 pm PST

The battery pack for the Prius is roughly $3,000.
    The transaxle, if it fails is $3,700 just for the transaxle, labor for replacing it is approximately another $1000.
    Depending on what exactly the extended warranty covers, it may be a good buy or not a good buy.

The thing I would check for, is to make certain exactly what the extended warranty covers.
    If it covers the high voltage battery pack, drivetrain, electrical and engine, then it may pay for itself over the life of the extended warranty.

What shops does the extended warranty require you to go to?
    Is it a Toyota extened warranty or is it some aftermarket extended warranty.
    Don't assume it is a factory extended warranty. Be certain of it.

Any time you deal with an aftermarket extended warranty (or for that matter, any extended warranty), read all of the fine print and know exactly what it covers. Make the salesman show you exactly where it says it will cover all the things they say it will.
    Know what the deductible is and if they cover things like roadside assistance, towing and car rental.

You don't want to be stuck into an extended warranty only to find out that they embelished it a little.

So, to answer your question of do you need an extended warranty, it is a tough call.
    I have seen people go many years without needing them, but have also seen people who have been outside the manufacturer's warranty eating a $2-$3,000 repair bill.

An extended warranty gambles on the fact that you will have at least one major repair needed between the manfuacturer's warranty and the end of the extended warranty.

Another thing to take into consideration is how long do you plan on keeping the vehicle.

I know that this doesn't help you to make the decision on whether to get it or not, but gives you some things to consider.

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
    Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.
    Hybrid Component: 8 yr. / 100,000 mi.
    Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.

• sergelbergeron 01/17/09 11:26 am PST

I have a 2005 bought in Dec. 04 - milleage about 55,000 miles - I've had no issues - no problems whatsoever. I also have a 2008 bought in Oct. 07 - I took the warranty because the price was so good ($1,000 full platinum) but I haven't any repairs at all so far on the 08. I'm pretty sure I would not take the warranty. It's your call for your peace of mind.

I have...let me count here...6 friends with Priuses, and none of them have had any trouble. Oldest one is 2005.

Remember an extended warranty from the dealer is really insurance, and insurance is a bet...the insurance company is betting your car won't break and you're betting it will. These extended warranties are profit items for the company and the dealer.

I'd be more inclined to encourage you to put a little money aside every month in a savings account that you don't touch. Then, if you are out of warranty and you need repairs, the money is there (and probably will cost less than $2000!) .

Top Car Warranties Extended Warranties Experts View More