Answers

The 2005 Honda CRV does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain; which typically lasts 150,000 miles or more. The service advisor who told you the timing belt is bad either does not even know that this car does not have a timing belt; or there was a miscommunication when you told us what he said.

Honda dealers guarantee their work. If they diagnosed the car as needing a certain part; and it does not fix the problem; they should either remove the part they installed, and put the original part back in; or just refund your money and eat the loss caused by their incorrect diagnosis.

If they balk about being asked to stand behind their guarantee, or balk about being expected to know how to properly repair the cars they sell; the law is on your side. American Honda Customer Service may also be on your side; but these days that is not as certain.

Honda CRVs, if I remember correctly, had a design defect in the timing chain tensioner system which resulted in premature wear and part failure. There may be a recall still in effect on this car.

You could save money if the car was repaired by a competent independent shop. If you do not know of such a shop in your area; click the "answer this question" button, enter the city and state in which you live on the page that appears; and click the "submit answer" button. I'll try to come up with some good recommendations.

• lizbda 05/13/12 11:26 pm PST

I live in Washington DC 20001......because I worked in Baltimore, I used Brown Honda in past but I have retired now , so any suggestion in Maryland or Virginia is fine.
    Thanks
    Liz

After closely screening a whole bunch of shops; I found 6 top rated, honest, competent shops; but only 2 of them are really close to DC. The others are near Columbia, MD and Elicott City, MD. I suspect the prices will be lower the further out you get from DC; but the difference may or may not be enough to be worthwhile. You'll have to decide... Starting with the closest:

Beahm's Auto Service, 944 Sligo Ave, Silver Springs, MD 20910

Joe Conlan's Automotive, 12041 Nebel St, Rockville, MD 20852

Foreign Auto Experts, 6350 S. Hanover Rd. Elkridge, MD 21075 (This place has 47 enthusiastic reviews; about ten times as many as the others)

Long Gate Citgo Service Center, 4132 Old Columbia Pike Ellicott City MD 21043

Eakles Auto Care, 3275 Bethany Ln., Ellicott City, MD 21042

Dean Automotive, 12205 Hall Shop Rd., Clarksville, MD 21029

Top Engine Timing Belt Experts View More

7. igozoomzoom 85