• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 09/16/09 1:31 pm PST

If you are nervous about any new system, conventional wisdom says to wait out the first model year.

The only complaints I've heard about the new CVT is that it makes the car very sluggish in acceleration---but I haven't verified this. I'd suggest you drive one to see if you even LIKE the idea of an CVT, before worrying about whether it might break. Nissan has had good luck, but VW has not. Subaru has been tinkering with CVT for quite a while now, and while their automatics weren't so splendid, their AWD systems have worked out well. Also in general the Subaru reliability ratings are pretty good.

Answers

• snowball2 09/16/09 4:36 pm PST

as transmission i have only had a couple of these things opened,reason being is that there is not much going on inside this unit,there is only 1 clutch pack for reverse and a chain,it basically operates like snowmobile,hense the cvt(constant velosity transmission

The Subaru Justy had a CVT transmission back in 1987 so it's not exactly new technology with Subaru. The Justy CVT had a poor reputation back then but they've had 20 years to fine tune the idea and hopefully work out most of the kinks. The Justy CVT was around through '94.

Top Transmission Automatic Experts View More

4. fordfan_17 830