Answers

I think a fair statement about this transmission (the 48RE I believe is what you have) is that it doesn't have much reserve strength---so doing anything beyond normal driving might stress it out. But a lot of the "bad" reputation for weak Dodge automatics stuck behind the Cummins diesel engines relates to older models than yours.

But I'd sure run a good synthetic fluid in there and stay away from engine mods unless you also do transmission mods to handle the power; and of course, if you do heavy heavy towing, that could be a problem over time as well.

• snowball2 10/19/09 9:20 pm PST

THE 48RE(A-618) MY OPINION IS ONE OF THE BEST TRANNY DODGE MAKES I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON TRANNYS FOR ABOUT 16 YEARS AND I THINK I HAVE ONLY REBUILT 5 OF THESE THINGS THE TRANNY ITSELF IS MAYBE 5 YEARS OLD,JUST KEEP UP WITH THE MAINTENANCE AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS

• madymo 11/04/09 12:12 pm PST

I also have a 2006 3500 4x4 with the 48RE transmission. At 25,000 miles I noticed the transmission would overheat when towing at low speeds. I have had at least 4 episodes where it got hot enough to illuminate the dash icon for "trans temp," and kicked it into OD off. Guess what- took it to the dealer, and no codes were stored in computer. They told me the transmission was fine. On subsequent overheats, I took a picture of the dash showing the tranny temp overheat icon illuminated. They still insisted nothing was wrong. Now finally that the truck is out of warranty, they state that the torque converter appears roasted. Keep in mind the tranny has had all the required service. Thus began my indepedent research. Overall, consensus is the 48RE is a good transmission. However, the torque converter is apparently good up to about 500-550 ft-lbs. The Cummins is capable of putting out a little better than 600 ft-lbs. Simple arithmetic reveals the issue. The post mortem on the tranny reveals a roasted torque coverter and somewhat damaged pump- less cooling for the fluid. So if you plan on towing anything, I would recommend upgrading NOW to a heavy duty torque converter.

Madmyo's analysis sounds "right" to me. It concurs with all I've read and heard. Running normal loads under normal conditions, you're fine, but if you tow or boost engine power, you need to think about beefing things up in there, IMO.

• thedesertraven 11/08/09 6:59 pm PST

I hope I didn't hear you correctly, when you wrote you were "towing slow...." with the trans in OD?
    That's a huge error, if you caused it to lug. Very hard on motor and trans, and terrible on mileage.

But the auto trans in the, roughly, post-2003 models is a pretty good one.

You can reply in this thread by clicking the Answer this Question button and that will help keep all the information in one spot. Thanks!

• snowball2 11/08/09 8:40 pm PST

there is a trans cooler check valve installed in the cooler line at radiator end that needs to be addressed on these trucks this valve likes to to get stuck and when it does there is a loss of about 50% of the cooler flow,causing trans to overheat and converter melt down

• madymo 11/09/09 11:01 am PST

No worries desertraven, I was not towing in OD. Even when towing in "tow/haul mode" the computer will kick the transmission into "OD Off" mode when it gets the tansmission overheat signal. This is a built in protection device to keep the tranny from cooking, but it kinda seems like closing the barn door after the horses got out. But yes, in general it's a good tranmission. Some people never have a problem, even with towing heavy loads. The trip to my home requires about two miles of uphill climb, with some curves, so speeds will vary from 5-30 mph. Tough on trannies, but heck, it's "Ram Tough," right? All good threads, and the checkball comment is right on the money. Knowing what I know now, if I were to do it all over, I would take my new truck and upgrade the torque converter and remove the checkball before I had symptoms. So for our original poster, I would recommend you find a trustworthy local tranny guy and get his opinion about upgrades.

Top Diesel Experts View More