• avatar elgeeps 10/08/08 5:09 pm PST

Tom,

I had power windows, heater fan control, back up lights (turn key on put in reverse and check for B/U lights, and rear window defogger inoperative, in addition to the Air Bag Light on, on the Instrument panel. What I found is there is a fuse F4 under the hood (if i remember correctly that feeds through 12 guage pink black wire through the firewall and into a 26 pin connector behind the knee panel under the steering wheel (pull down and lift up to remove) . May have to remove the left panel next to it with the fuse access panel to get to the connector. Connector sits on a tab and has a lock on the backside. This pink/black wire feeds through ignition switch and then to fuse panel where it goes to five fuses. (specifically the fuses for the above mentioned items.) When I found the connector it showed signs of blackening on the pink/black wire. Removed the connector from the metal tab holding it in place and pulled connector apart and found that the connector pins for that wire were fried inside. Cleaned them up and put dielectric grease on them and it worked.. all back on and light off for the air bag on the dash. It gave me a couple of problems and had to redo it.. I plan on taking the wire and pulling it from the connector and putting a single splice in for that wire and documenting it in my owners manual. Let me know if you need any clarification on this and sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Art

Answers

• wrightimport 10/05/08 10:43 pm PST

You need to have the airbag codes read with a scanner.
    Only then can you begin diagnosis of the faulty circuit to determine if a sensor, wiring, or controller has failed. As far as the windows and heater are concerned, with the limited information, I would venture to to guess that you have a blown fuse or relay. if you would like a full wiring or fuse diagram for your PT cruiser go here, and enter all the information on your vehicle. Make, model engine size and anything else that you might think useful. I will respond within 12 hours. Remember it is absolutely free with no strings.

• tlbell 10/05/08 11:27 pm PST

Thank you for getting back to me. I see no fuses for these components.

This is a 2001 PT Cruiser w/standard 4 cyl engine. This just happens with no warning.

There is some kind off power issue or the lack of, that is common to all these components. I have looked on the Web and there are a few folks that have run into this same problem. I have not seen an answer on line yet.

Something about a pink w/black strip wire that carries the power to these devices.

Regards

Tom
    dexter ,mi

• elgeeps 10/08/08 5:09 pm PST

Tom,

Art

• tlbell 10/08/08 5:44 pm PST

Art,

Thank you for getting back to me. You are right! It is the pink w\black stripe that is causing all the trouble. I took the power distribution box apart and tried to follow that wire to the key switch. I had taken the battery out of the car while I did this. I could not fine anything wrong - anywhere. I put everything back together now all the problems have disappeared. I have no clue what I did. I am grateful to know about the connector behind the kick panel. I had that both pulled out but didn't think to check for a problem at the connector. Thanks for the help!

Regards..................Tom :-)

• peteatkinson 05/14/09 7:13 am PST

I have just fixed this same problem - as stated by others, the fault is with the pink/black wire from the "ign run" 40A fuse in the under bonnet fuse box. It runs in a large loom across the front of the car (RHD UK model) and back to the bulkhead grommet. It passes through into the car and through a multi way plug before going on to the ign. switch and secondary fuse box. Check the plug - behind the secondary fuse box, above the throttle pedal. We found the fault was the actual pink/black wire and replaced it entirely between the plug and the primary fuse box under the bonnet. The actual point of failure was not found, but some chafing was fixed where the loom passes the engine mount near the timing cover (RH side).

• djhype1983 11/08/10 3:40 pm PST

I too had the same problem..Power windows, heater blower fan, heated seats, air bag light. and all are Fixed! The 26pin connector just to the left above the brake peddle or clutch in my case. Pink and Black wire will be either cinched, or had burn marks on or around it, it can be a easy fix for experienced people that deal with simple wiring. But here is a pic for those who need to see it. the wires that are hanging!

• preciosa88 12/24/10 11:03 am PST

I really Need Help my car is doing the same thing.. We are not quite sure how to fix this problem. Its a 02 pt cruiser.

Top Electrical Power Windows Experts View More