• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 02/06/09 12:15 pm PST

does this help? Maybe the ICM is bad.

E-mail me at: mr_shiftright@edmunds.com and I can send you a schematic of the ICM wiring at least.

"DESCRIPTION
    The main function of the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is to switch between ignition coils and trigger the ignition coils to spark.

OPERATION
    The ignition control module receives the Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) and Cylinder Identification (CID) signals from the crankshaft position sensor, and the Spark Output (SPOUT) signal from the powertrain control module. During normal operation, PIP is passed on to the powertrain control module and provides base timing and rpm information. The CID signal provides the ICM with the information required to switch between the ignition coils for cylinders 1 and 4 and the ignition coils for cylinders 2 and 3. The SPOUT signal (from the contains the optimum spark timing and dwell time information. The spark angle is determined by the rising edge of the SPOUT signal because that is when coil current "turns off" and spark occurs. The dwell time is controlled or varied by varying the duty cycle (duration) of the SPOUT signal. Current flows in an ignition coil (dwell) when SPOUT is "low". This feature is called Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD). Therefore, with the proper inputs of PIP, CID and SPOUT the ICM turns the ignition coils on and off in the proper sequence for spark control."

Answers

does this help? Maybe the ICM is bad.

"DESCRIPTION

OPERATION

• eviwey 03/26/09 9:34 pm PST

It like this...

after driving 20 min...just about the time i get into rush hour traffic...I lose ignition.

I sit 30 min in middle of rush hour traffic,,,many times on interstate...blocking all cars...

About the the cops show up wanting to know the problem

My ignition is back and i can take off again.

Ford 4 cyl ranger run fine again unless i let it cool down...then same event on way home.

What kind of image am i giving to people each day when this happens?

I change all coils, distributor, igniton module... same problem

I suggest we not buy Ford or GM anymore; burn down or bomb those factory's.....

I was happy with my Nissan...more miles, older, and much more reliable

Source: Chattanooga police station

• coach007 11/26/11 2:36 pm PST

if you go to www.hotrodhigh.com you will find a complete listing of the 2.3 engine which is very informative...THEY say that the passenger side spark plugs FIRE on COMPRESSION stroke and DRIVER side plugs fire on EXHAUST storke.. disconnect the module from the rear coil and see if the engine fires. DO the same in reverse disconnect front coil and see if engine fires (or has spark). tHERE is only one crankshaft sensor on the 2.3 (i have a 93 2.3 with 200k).FORD quoted me $200,00 for the crank sensor (most expensive one he ever saw). I am hoping is is not the ECM ( u can only get those aftermarket or junk yard). I wish you luck but do try and stay from the local FORD dealer . BY the time they get done with you and replacing every sensor they will tell you its a bad valve spring. Been there--done that...HOTRODHIGH (fred beyer) is I think your bet bed...ood luck .. Neal Andrews Tampa fl

Top Electrical Ignition Experts View More