• avatar karjunkie 12/03/09 6:00 pm PST

Many misfire problems are fairly easy to fix. It may just be a bad coil pack on that cylinder, fouled plug or a bad spark plug boot. You can swap coils and see if the misfire switches to another cylinder. If so replace the coil pack. When you pull the coil pack off, check the spark plug boot for carbon tracking at the base where it connects to the spark plug. Pinch the bottom seal that slips over the spark plug. Do you see any small cracks or slits in the seal ? Or are there any deposits on the inside of the seals that could be carbon tracking? These will vary in color but appear to be lines extending the inside length of the boot. Some of these deposits may be wiped clean, others are actually etched into the seal. I have extended the life of my seals by carefully wiping them and applying silicone di-electric grease to the insides of the seal whenever I change the spark plugs. Finally, pull the spark plug and check the electrode for proper color and any major wear on the plug's electrode.

Answers

• bigredtwo 12/14/09 9:05 pm PST

Hi karjunkie,
    Thanks for your answer! Sincerely appreciate it.
    I think my problem has been fixed. Bought a can of good carb/fuel injector cleaner, and that seems to have cleared the problem. (Must have been an injector that wasn't opening enough until heated. Again, appreciate your answer. bigredtwo

Happy to help! Glad it was an easy fix!

Top Engine Misfire Experts View More