• avatar 0patience 09/25/11 6:05 pm PST

The only things that come to mind is that it is possible that the fuel pump relay may be sticking on all the time or that the ground to the pump may have a problem. Has the relay been check/replaced?

Use the Answer this Question button to reply.

Answers

• 0patience 09/25/11 6:05 pm PST

• harper3 09/25/11 10:05 pm PST

As far as I know the relay has never been touched. Were is it and how do I test it, also how do I know if thats the problem? A few years ago I had to put a battery cut off swich under the hood, the battery kept going dead for no apparent reason, The battery might stay up for days without starting the van then other times it would go dead in a matter of several hours and the key wouldnt even be in the ignition, the battery would just simply go dead, Ive wondered if the 2 things were linked, [the batt going dead and fuel pump harness melting]. So what does it sound like, and what do I do. I never had any dealings with a van until my accident, so I'm still learning were stuff is located. Many thanks for your help, Ron

• 0patience 09/25/11 11:48 pm PST

Fuel pump relay is located up on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Should be 2 relays there. The fuel pump relay would be the inboard one. Check the connector to see if it shows signs of melting.
    If it does, then I'd replace the relay and check the connector carefully, possibly replacing the connector.

But the ground on the fuel pump should be carefully checked, even so far as disconnecting it, cleaning the connector and mating surface and re-connecting it.
    It's hard to say if there is another problem without actually seeing it.

Top GMC Safari Experts View More