• avatar neeper_97 10/24/09 1:03 pm PST

I have two Chrysler 300s, a 05 Limited and a 07 Touring and both have had this same problem. The 05 I bought used and the 07 new. Two months ago my car was parked in the garage and when I went to leave it wouldn't shift out of park. Tried the shift release and it still wouldn't work. Had to have it towed from my garage. As they were taking it away my neighbor across the street who has a 06 300 base model asked me if it was stuck in park. He said it happened to him a couple months prior. I have two friends I work with and they both told me they had to have it towed for the same problem. I then contacted the person I bought the 05 from and he said it had happened to him while he owned it. I asked the service tech about this and he denied any "trends" concerning the shifter being stuck in park. Luckily my car was still under warranty and I was home when it happened. It cost my friends $200 for the repairs plus towing. There is no warning so you never know when or where you will be stuck. I love both cars, don't get me wrong, but unless this is only a problem for 300 owners who live around me in AZ, I feel Chrysler should have a recall to fix this.

Answers

Usually the problem is the shift interlock system is malfunctioning. The system has an actuator mounted at the base of the steering column that determines when the brake pedal is depressed and releases the gear selector. This prevents shifting the car from park into gear unless your foot is on the brake. Before you go to any expense checking this, try opening the plastic cover around the shifter and spraying a good dose of WD-40 all around the shift linkage as your problem may just be a sticking part in the mechanism. If this doesn’t work, you’ll need to have the actuator checked out by a mechanic. Most cars and trucks have an emergency release which is a hole near the shifter or a button under the plastic shifter housing. You insert your key into the hole or press the button, shift into neutral and start the car. Then you do not put the shifter back into park until you get the car to the mechanic to fix the actuator.

• neeper_97 10/24/09 1:03 pm PST

• orion250 07/11/10 7:45 pm PST

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring and this same thing just happened to me yesterday. I was reading my Haynes repair manual and it said to remove the little black compartment to the right of the gear shift and press the emergency by-pass button (pink button) and then I would be able to take the gear shift out of park. It didn't work. I work at a car repair shop but not a mechanic. We have seen this problem before on another 300 and a Dodge (can't remember the model though). The shifter assembly had to be replaced. One of my mechanics said the Chrysler dealers stock lots of these shifter assemblies because they break a lot. I'm wondering if the problem could be with the brake switch or acuator/solenoid switch which determines when the brake pedal is pressed and sends a signal to the shifter letting it shift out of park. If this is happening to a lot of the 300's and other Dodge model's, we should force Chrysler to recall these faulty parts or don't purchase another Dodge or Chrysler product ever again. Any comments on this?

• mrswakefield 07/19/10 9:54 am PST

This just happened to me last night. Took the fam out to get ice cream, came back out to the car and wouldn't let me shift down to a gear. It felt stuck like something was in the way. I could shift all the way out of park but couldnt' shift to R, N, or D. . . . . Called my dad to help out, he is not a mechanic but a very good problem solver. . . . . an hour later he figured he had to disconnect a small cable encased in a white plastic housing. Not sure what it "is" but i can shift now. . . . . looking into it now. Thats what brought me here. Hope someone has a solution to this. I have owned my Pacifica (since new from the car lot) since december 2006 and have had NO real issues until just this month. Just recently replaced some module (explained to me as a vaccuum over one of the fuel tanks) and it cost me over $500. . . . . .

• leggslim 09/13/10 3:11 pm PST

This same thing happened to me this morning 9/13/10. Brought an extended warranty, didnot know it ran at the same time as the manufacturers warranty, just expired 9/11/10, 2 days ago. Thus I am out of luck. Most extened warranties pickup after the first year from the manaufacturer. Do not buy one.

Called Chrysler and no recalls. The tow truck driver informed me that he has towed many Chrysler 300s with this problem. Even with him pushing the gearshift would not move from Park to R, N or D.

Will cost about $300 to repair, per the mechanic at Amoco, it has plastic parts that break and he to stated it happened on these cars quite a bit. Should be a nationwide recall and Chrysler should pay.

• dodgerla 02/01/11 5:01 am PST

For some of you it might be to late for me to save you some money but a replacement part is available and its cheap. Follow the link below. Please dont pay the dealer $300 plus for a shifter with the same cheap plastic part.

Source: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthrea
    d...

• peepvalve 04/27/11 1:08 pm PST

Im new to this site. I have worked on numerous cars and truck for about 20 years. This is a horrible issue with the charger,300,and the magnum platform. When the shifter is stuck in park, basically the shifter is broken. The lock-out piece has failed in the lock position. To save some money and avoid a tow press the brake grab the shifter and give it a hard yank. This will allow you to drive the vehicle as normal until you can get to a shop.

• jesusd 05/10/11 2:14 pm PST

The shifter has two problems that does not let you go out of park either you push the overide pink button thats on the right interior edge of shifter that releases it if that doesnt work its another pink pin in front of the shifter you would have to take console of shifter apart to get to it and release it from there it breaks and wont let you shift out of park even if you push brakes or move steering wheel. Please call 1800-CHRYSLER to report the problem it should be a Recall like the chargers and various other Chysler/dodge vehicles they just excluded the 300 series so please if you have this problem report it to Chrysler this is a $450+ repair at dealer if recalled we get it for free or refund of repair!!!!!!!

Source: 1800-CHRYSLER

• dranach 06/20/11 1:44 pm PST

(2005 300C) I just ran into this same problem 6-18-11. Luckily it happened in my garage. I googled the problem and soon realized that the problems is due to a cheap shifter lockout mechanism. I took the center console out, removed the whole shifter assembly, opened the shifter assembly and removed the broken shifter lockout mechanism or the "pink thingy" as some call it. I'm driving the car (not recommended), until I get the part from custombilletstore.com. I found a helpful video on youtube. http://youtu.be/P_QMSBpYThI . Tools needed- Socket wrench 8mm socket, 10mm socket, phillips screwdriver and a butter knife to pry open the shifter assembly. I don't own tools so I had to borrow the sockets and the butter knife worked just fine.

• vega1992 07/28/11 8:16 pm PST

it is a small pink piece that holds a small spring located in the shift box. It brakes and it needs to be replaced. what i did was i drilled a small whole where the piece was and i inserted a nail and i bent it so it can work as a holder for the spring. very simple and easy task.

• kaait 08/12/11 12:30 pm PST

I am having the same problem with my Chrysler 300 (2006). I found that while the car is turned on, I pump my brakes several times and it will release the gear shift out of park. With my car, I never know when it is going to get stuck. It usually happens about 1 time in
    30. One time, I could not get the brake trick to work so I tried turning the steering wheel while I pumped the brakes and that worked. I keep waiting for Chrysler to recall these cars. Other than that issue my car is still in almost perfect condition and runs like a top!

• tgriffi 08/30/11 1:03 pm PST

We just had this problem on a 2005 Pacifica. Thanks for the link to youtube and link to where to buy the replacement part, as our mechanic said something about Chrysler being backordered and he wasn't sure when he'd be able to get the part. (Our mechanic did say the part is interchangeable between 300s and Pacificas, so I'm fairly certain it will work.)

• honeysgirl1 09/15/11 12:40 pm PST

9/2011, I own a 300 touring 2006 and was talking with a friend who owns a 2005 she said this had happened to her car 2 times. Well what do you know, the same thing happen to my car. I have called Chrysler who takes no responsibility for this problem even though I see many responses to this problem. They refuse to own up to a problem that is easily solved and can make a customer come back. I wll never purchase a Chrysler car again, not ever. The car has less than 50,000 miles on it and it has been big money problems each time it goes to the shop.

Have the people who made comment contacted Chrysler and let them know about this defect If not, please do, they know about it they just haven't gotten enough pressure to take care of it and recall the cars because of this gearshift problem.

• cjackson3 08/01/12 1:20 pm PST

I was on vacation and after leaving my Chrysler 300 parked for two weeks it would not come out of park.I removed all of the caseing around the shifter and there is a plastic piece mine was pink down in there.I removed that piece the car has been fine every since! This happened about 6 months ago.It shifts fine!

Visitors finding this "closed" Answer via a net search can still log in and reply if you have additional information to add.

You can reply in this thread by clicking the Answer this Question button. Thanks!

• elizs1229 06/03/13 1:20 pm PST

My Chrysler 300 was stuck in park this morning 6/3/2013. The tow truck driver said he had the same problem with his car and has towed NUMEROUS cars for the same reason. I looked up and there is a recall for this for 2005-2007 Chryslers but they are VIN specific, and of couse mine does not apply. I find this very frustrating now I have to pay imsure hundreds of dollars to fix this. And there is another recall about a faulty air bag sensor wire that my car has as well. Of course my VIN does not work either.
    I know that I will NEVER buy a Chrysler product again!!

• chamois 08/12/13 10:15 pm PST

I just called Chrysler and they said if AHTA gets enough complaints about a part, that is where the Traffic Authority will issue a recall from. The phone # to report this problem is 1-888-327-4236. I hope this will help someone in the future!

• luvcle 09/10/13 11:07 am PST

I have the same problem, but my car is not covered under the recall. Please call Chrysler so they can widen the recall. 800-853-1403.

Top Chrysler 300 Experts View More

2. boomchek 70
3. neeper_97 60