• avatar cat123 03/03/09 11:08 pm PST

I read on one of the responses about a problem with the speedometer pegged out and I had the same thing on my 2001 Dodge Caravan. I too almost fell for a new cluster but when I brought it in to the Dodge Dealership the gentleman took it for a drive down the frontage road. He returned telling me it was fixed by flooring the thing to about 80 and the speedo needle flipped right back over. FREE fix!

Answers

First off, you have a 4 speed transmission and the correct transmission fluid for 2000 and newer models, is ATF+4. Don't mix and match, the fluids don't play well together. If you suspect that Dexron or any other fluid has been put into your A604/41TE, invest the $40 or so to have it replaced immediately! Dextron is a "grabbier" fluid. The A604/41TE is designed to slip a bit during shifts and ultimately it'll cause the transaxle to fail. Common failure points include the speed sensors - both input and output - and the solenoid packs. The solenoid packs can become clogged - especially if the wrong fluid is used. Let us know how you progress and good luck!

• dsimmers 03/03/09 4:04 pm PST

Hard downshift Dodge Caravan

Follow up on question originally ask about changing filter in trans on 2002 Dodge Caravan. This is for sure is a 3speed auto and 3.3 6cyl. Correct fluid was used. However one other point I would like to make is that I had to stop on job and pan was left off overnight. Could this of caused anything bad. Would a trans flush help out with this. I have always been scared of flushing a transmission. Original trans went out at 35,000 so this one has approx. 65,000 0n it with no previous service. Any advice is helpful. Don't believe it's related but about 2 months ago speedo quit working. Needle on wrong side of stop pin. Cruise works as does odometer. Was going to send instrument cluster out for repair. No hard downshifting was occuring until filter change.

• cat123 03/03/09 11:08 pm PST

• dsimmers 03/04/09 7:36 am PST

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

• dsimmers 03/04/09 8:04 pm PST

Information on speedometer. well took it up to 80MPH and it worked Free fix no instrument cluster needed. Will work with hard-downshift problem this weekend hopefully will also be a easy fix. Thanks to all for info let you know how tranny goes.

• cat123 03/04/09 11:15 pm PST

Okay, I just had the transmission filter changed and my 2001 Dodge Caravan was shifting hard down and also up (at times going up that is). I took it to the dealership and they had to reset the computer. They said that every so often they run across one that for some reason gets air in the system and has problems with teh computer sensing how or when to shift. This may be something out of your hands. It ran me $98 and run great! Got this done today. Good Luck!

• dsimmers 03/05/09 7:31 am PST

Thanks for input, will check on this. The dealer had suggested that I have filter changed and trans flush. I was trying to save some money since this was 220.00. Looking back guess this may of been cheapest route. Let you know how it comes out.