• avatar motorstreet 04/18/10 12:13 am PST

You should have your Trailblazer looked at to see if it has serious problems. The Trailblazer was rated marginal in forntal crash test when it was new and doesn't have side airbags or stability control, so it isn't a safe vehicle even if it doesn't have any problems. The XC90 is very good, but the XC90 is an aging design (it's nearly as old as the Trailblazer which Chevy discontinued last year), so that might not be the right vehicle. The XC90 isn't very reliable, but the sale of Volvo to Geely isn't a concern for used cars and current models, it's only a concern for future Volvo cars. If you want to stay with the Chevy brand you should look for a Chevy Traverse new or used, because it's larger and safer than the XC90 and it just as nice to drive. There is a huge variety of options in this category now. The Mazda CX-9 is my favorite new 7 seat crossover, but if you want a vehicle more like your Trailblazer the Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder, or Toyota 4Runner are worth a look.

Answers

I would share your concerns about the cost of Volvo repairs and maintenance. That would be a greater concern to me than who owns the company.

Perhaps your decision might be easier if you had your mechanic do an inspection of your Trailblazer. At 8 years of age, you may have some suspension issues or it may be as simple as worn tires.

There is also something to be said for your comfort level with a brand. I think the Trailblazer is a very underrated vehicle and a possible used car bargain. If your 02 turns out to have more problems than you feel comfortable with fixing, perhaps you'd feel more comfortable with a newer Trailblazer. You should be familiar with that nice straight-6.

Good luck with your decision.

I would not recommend a used Volvo. The never ending, costly repairs will still be there; and parts will become more and more difficult to get.

The Trailblazer's wobbliness and instability can be expected when the shock absorbers become worn. This also is a result of tire design, quality, and wear. Loose front end bushings, a steering box needing the adjusting bolt tightened and other worn front end parts will add to the looseness. Considering the amount of money you would save by upgrading the suspension instead of buying a different vehicle; I would suggest you do the truck and yourself a huge favor by taking the truck to a front end shop that has an outstanding reputation (shops that do frame straightening and those that work on race cars, motor homes and semis are far more likely to be qualified than other shops) and have the suspension checked for wear and alignment. If you had the shock absorbers replaced with a set of KYB GR2 (Front part # 331016; Rear part # 343395) and a set of new Michelin LTX M/S2 tires in 245/70R16; you would be amazed at the difference in stability and handling. A set of new Michelins is far less expensive than a new vehicle; but they'll make the truck handle better than it ever has before. www.tirerack.com is a great source for tires, advice, and recommendations for local tire installation shops. www.summitracing.com is a good source for KYB shocks. Have the shocks and tires replaced either at the time the front end work is done, or just prior to it; because both shocks and tires will change the front end alignment.

You can reply in this thread by clicking the Answer this Question button and that will help keep all the information in one spot. Thanks!

• knowledgepower 04/14/10 12:22 pm PST

You had another post saying you'd keep your Trailblazer but it disappeared and you input a Mitsubishi Eclipse, I will answer that. It's your decision based on your needs, have they changed? What safety
    issues have you read about the Eclipse? The Volvo has a great safety
    record but you already have an SUV in the Trailblazer and the Volvo is
    listed as a small SUV, then you'll have two. Check IIHS.org and it will
    give you the Eclipse ratings which were good in frontal and side impact
    test results (ratings from good,acceptible,marginal,and poor). It had no
    data for 1-5 star rating on Safercar.gov which is NHTSA. You can have a different look in a car and still have the SUV in the Trailblazer.

• summerstar 04/14/10 12:46 pm PST

The mods combined my questions, so its easier to answer, but confusing. In a word, just looking for a safer car for my daughter and I to share...the Trailblazer is fine, but getting on, and the Eclipse is out of the question. So, looking around I thought I'd test drive an 08 Volvo and liked it. So, the dilema is which car, if any, would I trade. I'm really concened about what Geely is going to do to Volvo, so that's an issue. Will probably overhaul the truck and sit tight for a bit till I see another option. Thanks for all your replies!!

I was just looking at a new Chevy Equinox at the dealership yesterday. It gets much better fuel economy than other cars in its class; has a quality look and feel to it, and will undoubtedly handle better than the much taller Trailblazer. (The height of a vehicle greatly influences its stability on turns). The Equinox could also be a good second car for you and your daughter.

• motorstreet 04/18/10 12:13 am PST

• summerstar 04/18/10 10:25 am PST

The Trailblazer has new BFG long trails on it, new shocks, etc. You addressed my fundamental concerns about tipping, which is becoming more apparent with age, regardless of tires, shocks, etc. I may be an experienced driver (and even then), but my kids are not, and may not anticipate instability on off ramps or sharp corners. Going out to look at the cars you suggested as well as the Kia Sorrento (much better model this year) and the Mitsu Endeavor.

I guess my doubts about letting the TB go is the fact that it is such a classic, with a truck chasis, great authority on the road and heft. Didn't want to sacfifice a gem, if indeed that's what it is. Just facing a lot of repairs, and wasn't sure if I should sink more money into it.

Thanks to all of you for your very detailed and helpful replies!

Top Chevrolet TrailBlazer Experts View More

7. baybeegrl8700 45