• avatar igozoomzoom 10/24/10 8:31 am PST

Consumer Reports rates the Outlander among the better small SUVs and gives it their highest rating of "Recommended". Reliability is better than average and they favor the 4-cylinder models over the V6. The V6 averaged 19mpg overall in their tests compared to 22mpg for the 4cyl. The V6 is quicker, but the 4-cylinder is more than adequate (in their opinion).

As for Mitsubishi Motors continuing sales operations in the U.S., there are no guarantees. They have sworn that they have no plans to abandon the U.S. market (as recently as a few weeks ago) but there can only operate at a loss for so long before throwing in the towel! They are successful in other parts of the world, so they would still be making cars...just not selling them here. If they ceased U.S. opertions, they would probably commit to providing parts and service for all existing cars for at least 10 years. The warranty would also remain valid.

The biggest risk you'd be taking is that the resale value would take a hard hit. If you plan to keep it for four or five years, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's the car you want, go for it! But if you haven't considered the Hyundai Tucson also, it's worth a look before making your final decision...

Answers

• igozoomzoom 10/24/10 8:31 am PST

• stephen987 10/24/10 11:09 am PST

If you haven't already, you should check out Inside Line's long-term test blog entries on the Outlander at http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/V
    ehicles/2010-mitsubishi-outlander-gt/
    . They seem to like the vehicle a lot, but it has had some problems.

And I second the recommendation above: you should definitely look at the Hyundai Tucson (and the Kia Sportage) before you decide.

Source: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/V
    e...

• morin2 10/24/10 11:14 am PST

If considering a used one, consider taking it to your mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection; that would be the best $75-100 investment you could make.

We never really know when a company will disappear or leave the US market. Five years ago, who would have guessed that Saturn would be no more?

I think the primary concern should always be "does this vehicle best serve my needs?".

The only Mitsu product I've owned was a 91 Montero and I have fond memories of a solid, well-built (body on frame), enjoyable, and easy to maintain vehicle.

• igozoomzoom 10/24/10 11:57 am PST

morin2 mentioning the possibility of a used Outlander brings up a very important factor to consider if comparing a used vs. new Mitsubishi. The 10-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Warranty only applies to the original owner who purchased the vehicle brand new. Subsequent owners are only covered for the duration of the Bumper-to-Bumper 5-year/60,000-mile Warranty, so the used ones have five years and 40k miles less coverage!

The 2010 models have a $1000 cash incentive if you finance thru their preferred lender OR you can choose low APR financing instead- 0% for 36mos, 0.9% for 48mos, 2.9% for 60mos or 4.9% for 72mos. FYI, the financing will probably be your best bet if you qualify and don't go over 48mos if you can avoiid it....definitely not over 60mos! You'll end up being 'upside down' in the car for years otherwise.

My main concern would be the local dealer. If you are in a bigger town, the dealer may be ok. In a smaller market, the dealer may not sell enough Mitsus to make a go of it and may decide to fold or switch to another brand. Looks like there were 700 dealers in the US a few years ago; not sure of current numbers.

Mitsubishi is actively seeking more dealers according to their webpage.

I like Mitsubishi products and they seem quite durable. The biggest issue with Mitsubishi, and Kia for that matter, is resale value---so if you're the type who doesn't hold onto a vehicle for 5+ years, you may wish to consider that downside.

• isellhondas 10/24/10 2:25 pm PST

These are good cars and I would much perfer one over anything Korean.

They do not, however have a strong dealer network in most parts of the country so be careful of that. If you are buying used, you can probably get a good deal becasue as others have pointed out, resale values on these is very weak.

Mitsubishi has been around a long time. Heck, they built the Zeros that were used to bomb Pearl Harbor!

Never made it big in the U.S.

I think if you got a really good deal on an Outlander and planned to keep it a long time, this would not be a bad decision for you. If you are in northern California, I know a very good dealer.

• oldfarmer50 10/24/10 7:13 pm PST

I own a Mitsu product and am happy with it after almost 3 years. Zero problems. In my opinion Mitsus have the smoothest running motors of any car and they should be very long-lived.

I also agree with the other posters about resale value. Like Hundai, Mitsubishi car drop in value pretty fast. I hear Kias are even worse. Make them all good buys as used cars.

Top Car Buying Options Experts View More