• avatar karjunkie 08/17/08 10:50 am PST

Honda Civic Hybrid's IMA battery pack comes with an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty, or a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty in CA, CT, MA, ME, NY, RI or VT. See your dealer to confirm it is still under warranty. I believe it is over $1000 to replace, but you may be able to find a used pack from a late model vehicle that was in an accident for much less. Do a search on Ebay motors to see.

Answers

• sladowski 11/13/08 7:47 am PST

My 2003 Civic Hybrid battery was just replaced under warranty. Dealer said this is a $3,000 to $4,000 repair. Battery alone is just under $3,000. I believe the 150K warranty is only in California, and not the list of states listed in other posts. The sticker on the rear driver side window has a code. Mine indicated it was for 8/80,000. You need to check around the internet for what the code means. Also, Honda seems to be revising policy on some of its hybrids. I just read that Insights in some states just had the warranty extended to 10/150K. Pays to check with the dealer. Also, greenhybrid.com is a great site for information on IMA issues. Seems you have better luck with a warranty replacement if the car has under 100,000 (even if the car is technically out of warranty). Good Luck.

One other issue with the 2003 Hybrid. There is an annoying automatic transmission jitter and bucking problem at low speeds 1- 15mph. It really makes the car jump up and down. Does not leave you stranded, just annoying to everyone in the car. After a new transmission at 47k which did nothing, new clutches (recommended by a honda service bulletin -- cost $1,000 if not under warranty), the problem was finally diagnosed as a faulty EGR valve (cost for part about $200). Be sure the car you are looking to buy had this issue taken care of.

• nanomug1 04/04/09 10:40 am PST

The current warranty on the 03 Civic Hybrid battery and emissions components is not always reflected in the warranty included when purchased. Changes in the warranty in California has changed at least twice. First change addressed vehicles SULEV after they were certified that way in June of '03 in California. Nothing was changed on the car except the label. About 18 months years ago our catalytic converter went out and the dealer said too bad its not a SULEV. Honda ended up picking up the tab. At that time the warranty was 80k for the components yet 150k on those with the SULEV label. About a year ago at 97k our IMA battery died and it was covered under warranty. A recent check of the warranty on Honda's website says that the batter and emissions are covered for 10 years 150k. Warranty specifics have changed in other states. Best to check your VIN number on the Honda website and read the current warranty.

• bbb99 04/20/09 12:22 am PST

It's going to cost me $2400 in TX. My 03 HCH has 92k on it with IMA light on diagnosed at the dealership with a dying battery. I'm going to drive it until I can't though, maybe it will die a slow death.

• Ogre_GEV 04/23/09 4:10 pm PST

There are companies in the USA, Great Britain and New Zealand that rebuild the batteries for significantly less than the cost of a dealer battery.

A junkyard pack is a good option at about $300, but make sure the vehicle has not been wrecked for more than 90-180 days. The batteries can be problematic if left to sit without charging for a long time.

• lelono 12/22/09 5:21 pm PST

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 30,900 miles on it. I was told by the local Honda dealer today that I need a new IMA battery. They quoted a price of $3135.50 plus tax for a repaired/reconditioned battery. The estimated time of arrival for the replacement battery is sometime in February 2010. (Today is December 22, 2009). Who knows whether the car will run for me between now and then.

The car is out of warranty because it was "totaled" before I bought it in November. But with relatively easy repairs it is back on the road in otherwise excellent condition. But Honda canceled the warranty so this replacement IMA battery is my out-of-pocket expense. (I knew this about the warranty when I bought it, but I was not expecting an IMA battery failure at this very low mileage.)

Any ideas on battery repair or another source of batteries?

• rothsky 01/09/11 9:01 pm PST

My local Honda dealer told me $4125 installed. Anybody know of a better option?

• prowriter1 07/07/12 6:35 pm PST

July 2012: I was quoted $3,100 from a Sandy, Utah Honda dealer.

The Owners Manual (Civic 2005) only indicates the battery is warranted "up to the full price." However, Honda claims the warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles. My car had 89,000. Symptoms: IMA and engine light.

I called Honda to complain about the price. Honda, in turn, called the dealer, and the price was lowered from the dealer's $3,100 to $500, which I paid.

There are other web forum entries of owners that claim they got 100% replacement. Honda told me they handle complaints on a case-by-case basis, so there may not be consistency.

Five states have modified their laws to require the Honda warranties cover $150,000.

Summary: $3,000 seems to be the average quote for a hybrid battery. If you are willing to complain, Honda seems willing to drop the price.

Top Electrical Battery Experts View More