• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 05/11/09 9:51 pm PST

This is called the "stabilizer shaft". I strongly suggest you get a Chilton's manual for this job, from your public library or Amazon or eBay so that you have the proper diagrams. I'll give you the general steps so that you know what's involved.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Raise and support the vehicle, allowing the front suspension to hang free.
    2. Remove the front tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Wheel Removal.
    3. Remove the nuts attaching the stabilizer links to the stabilizer shaft.
    4. Remove the tie rods from the knuckles
    5. Remove the bolts retaining the rear engine bracket

1. Remove the clamps attaching the stabilizer shaft to the crossmember assemblies.
    2. Support the rear of the crossmember with an adjustable jack stand.
    3. Remove the rear bolts from the crossmember assemblies, and loosen the front bolts
    4. Lower the crossmember three inches by adjusting the jack stands down.
    5. Remove the stabilizer shaft with the insulators

The book says this job takes a trained mechanic 1.6 hours. The part is listed at $136.

language="JavaScript"> language="JavaScript">

Answers

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

• 99blazer1000 05/19/09 12:14 am PST

Thanks so much for the help. I found a chiltons manual at the library as suggested and just completed the job. It wasn't too bad once I determined that the only way to get at the bolt for the stabilizer bar's bushings was to first drop the rear of the front end frame/ cross member. The rest was pretty straight forward. I got a used stabilizer bar from the junk yard for $40, the dealer wanted $150. Thanks again.

Good job! Congratulations!

Top Oldsmobile Cutlass Experts View More

5. bepperb 10