• avatar morin2 11/17/09 9:30 pm PST

We received the same letter from Subaru about the fuel tank one-way fuel valve. It is being called a "service program" rather than a recall - Service Program WVL-22 in the upper left of the letter. This is for all 2005-2008 Foresters or 2005-07 Imprezas with the non-turbo 2.5.

The letter describes the potential for catalytic converter damage if the fuel pump sucked air momentarily during cornering with very low fuel. That could cause a misfire & the misfire could damage the cat converter. There's a lot of "coulds" there and it also indicates that your check engine light would illuminate if the cat converter was damaged. The letter does not offer free catalytic converters - even if needed. It is only for the one-way valve removal.

This one-way valve problem probably wouldn't affect anybody who kept their fuel above 1/8 tank. Its one more reason to always keep fuel in the tank and not run low - in any car.

Our 2007 acceleration hasn't changed. We're in no huge hurry to have the service done - because we always keep fuel above 1/4. In fact, within a few days of receiving the letter, my wife went on a 1600 mile trip with my daughter to visit colleges with her 07 Forester. I'll take it in to have the valve removed when its convenient - but its unlikely to change your acceleration problem. I suggest you take it in with the letter (read it carefully - they don't want the tank full since they have to remove the fuel pump) describing service program WVL-22 and discuss the acceleration problem at the same time.

Good Luck!

Answers

Oh that's for the intake manifold. The purge valve is only being replaced because it is affected by the intake manifold modification.

The recall says nothing about a catalytic, so if you have any future problems with that, it would be a regular warranty item. The factory would never pay the dealer for a pre-emptive repair. It would require the dealer to have been authorized by the factory to replace any part.

This is what it says:

"
    NUMBER: 02-104-08
    DATE: 3/19/08
    APPLICABILITY:
    2006 - 2007MY Impreza and Forester 2.5L NA SUBJECT:
    Intake Manifold Modification Introduction
    The purpose of this bulletin is to inform you of a modification which was made to the intake manifold. The boss and tie clip that secured the engine harness to the intake manifold was removed. In addition, on Forester models the mounting position of the purge control solenoid valve bracket was slightly moved to the right. Due to the modification the shape of the bracket was changed. Therefore, if the intake manifold is replaced, the purge control solenoid valve will also need to be replaced."

Good Luck!

Ohhhhh, that's why I couldn't find it on any of the Recall or TSB lists. (wish I had known that!).

Anyway, morin is quite right. If the catalytic were in distress, your engine light would have not only gone on, but probably would have been blinking constantly.

Top Fuel System Experts View More