• avatar isellhondas 03/27/11 3:10 pm PST

I have no idea what a "flex pipe" is but I would take it to a muffler shop...NOT ONE OF THE CHAINS, and ask them if it can be repaired for less money.

Answers

• isellhondas 03/27/11 3:10 pm PST

• chitrani 04/21/11 5:18 pm PST

I just today had my 2003 Camry looked at because it was getting loud. The mechanic said that it was my flex pipe. They USED TO have to order the whole contraption. Now they can just replace the flex pipe. They said it would cost about $75 for the Flex Pipe and about $75 for the labor.. so all in all about $160 (after tax). Whoever told you $1200 is on crack! Good luck man!

• lmp78 04/21/11 7:35 pm PST

Actually, I did some investigation and found a local exhaust systems mechanic as suggested by isellhondas. He was able to replace the flex pipe for $150, exactly what chitrani was quoted. It took him about 30 minutes to fix it. He said that he could buy the part separately from the whole system, and he showed me a shelf of brand new flex pipes. The Toyota dealer, on the other hand, has to use Toyota parts, which are not sold separately. This is why the dealer quoted me such a outrageous price. Anyway, it saved me a lot of money, and I was glad to give a local, honest guy the buisness. Thanks for your suggestions!

Top Exhaust Experts View More