Answers

I can think of two possibilities:
    1-manufacturing defect. How old was the tire? Any warranty still in force? It could also have been damaged in shipping.
    2-road damage. Anyone besides you drive the car? Others can be 'forgetful' in reporting hitting something on the road.

I'm thinking 1 more than 2, road damage seems to typically cause sidewall blow-outs, not what you had. But maybe something sharp was hit, causing a slice across the tread. Photos would help.

As for tire construction, 'radial' means the cords in the carcass of the tire run from bead to bead, and would separate as you describe. However, the belts that tires also have do not typically run in that direction, and would have to be sliced to fail as you describe. Google 'radial tire construction' for lots of diagrams, such as the one shown above.

• spociask 11/08/10 5:31 pm PST

No, nothing was hit by anyone. No sharp objects. This happened on a dirt road, but nothing extreme. I never went over 20 MPH, and it was a well travelled road. Nothing was in the road where it happened. I can't even imagine what I would have to drive over, in order to cause this type of damage. i.e. cutting through all the steel cords. There was no loss of air pressure before hand (as would likely happen if there was some event that actually severed the steel strands prior to the blowout) The automatic tire pressure sensors read normal pressure right up to the event.
    This vehicle was well cared for and well driven. The vehicle and tire are just about 1 year old. Here are the pictures. It's really quite bizarre. If it is a manufactures defect... I'd be very interested in understanding the nature of this type of failure. It doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm curious to find out what Goodyear will have to say about this. It was a Goodyear WranglerHP. They have been known to have cracking sidewalls, but to fail entirely across the full tread and back down the other sidewall is ridiculous!

• odil1372 04/15/11 12:59 am PST

This EXACT same thing happened to me last night! I was driving 75 on the Interstate when mine blew, however. Nothing in the road. I also drive a GMC Yukon. It was getting close to the end of the tire life for my vehicle, but my tires were not bald.

I was impressed with how well the truck handled the blowout. Luckily it was on the back right side. However, my vehicle did sustain a little over $2,000 in damage.

• isellhondas 04/15/11 4:27 pm PST

I have to say in my years of managing a large Sears Auto Center and spending many years around a whole lot of shops, I have to say that I've NEVER seen anything like this before.

MAybe after you have Goodyear look at it you can come back here and tell us what they said. It almost looks like someone took a knife to it. Manufacturing defect can be the only thing I would think.

Top Tires Experts View More