• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 07/05/09 4:02 pm PST

Looks like the alarm module and anti theft controller are both behind the glove box. Probably disarming is not so easy, for obvious reasons. You may have to have a shop do it. you're right, no sense fixing it, just have it pulled out and be done with it.

Answers

My '97 Subaru alarm started acting up a year or so ago. I first got under the hood and took the siren apart and taped off the two wires going to it. That helped the noise but like you, I still had flashing lights when the alarm sensor got tripped (and it would trip for no reason).

I finally crawled under the dash to the black box, which was the alarm module like Shifty mentioned. I was fortunate in that my factory alarm was dealer installed and the previous owner had kept the installation brochure from the dealer. So I was able to open up the black box and find some DIP switches and turning one of those off disabled the alarm. Fortunately my power doors and key fob still worked.

Maybe if you find the alarm module, there may be some instructions or something on a sticker inside the box.

My alarm box had two fuses btw.

Good luck - if I hadn't had the instructions, I probably would have had to go to the dealer.

• sjw2 07/05/09 7:35 pm PST

Thank both of you for the info, I'll snoop around and see what I can find

Here's a wiring diagram link from Commando Car Alarms that may help.

Top Electrical Power Doors Experts View More

5. johnm22 35
7. uniquess 30