Answers

how 'bout the headlight relay? You didn't mention that.

• cpulsipher 11/29/12 1:38 pm PST

No I have not. Thanks, that helps a lot. Do you know where the relay is located?

All my diagrams show is that it's in the passenger compartment fuse box, on the back side--that's as close as i can get for you.

• cpulsipher 11/29/12 3:26 pm PST

Thanks again. Another question. I went to the dealership and they told me it could be the body control module, the repair for which would cost me $425. In my repair manual there is no reference whatsoever to a body control module, and I read elsewhere that there was no BCM in the early Santa Fe's. I suspect the dealership is trying to maximize profits at my expense. Could the problem be a BCM?

Perhaps they were referring to it by a different name--at any rate, according to the "book", it doesn't control the headlights anyway:

"The ETACS control module (Electronic Time and Alarm Control system control Module) controls the front wiper & washer, chime bell, keyless entry & burglar alarm, power door lock, courtesy and tail gate lamps, rear window defogger & outside mirror defogger, room lamp delay, door warning, seat belt warning, ignition key hole illumination and door key hole illumination.

The module is supplied battery voltage at all times from fuse 11. Fuse 9 supplies battery voltage to the module whenever the key is in ON. Fuse 19 supplies battery voltage to the module when the ignition is in ON or START.

• cpulsipher 11/30/12 5:49 pm PST

Thanks. It turns out it was the relay, although after taking the fusebox off I couldn't figure out which of the relays it was. They (Hundai) went to a lot of trouble to make sure I couldn't replace it myself.

So you replaced the relay yourself and it worked?

Top Hyundai Santa Fe Experts View More

7. highsmith 55