Answers

2WD or 4WD? Pickup or SUV? Which engine?

• lacat 11/12/08 11:53 am PST

its 4x4, 4.3 suv

I'm afraid this is too complicated with diagrams, special instructions and specifications to convey all this to you in this little box.

I'd suggest getting ahold of a Haynes or Chilton's manual at your public library.

You have to take the control arm off, which the book says is about 1.9 hours for an upper on one side, or 3.5 both sides, for a professional mechanic, so you might want to double that time if you are not a pro. This includes removing the control arms and doing the bushings. You'll need a tool to remove the ball joint and you'll also need an alignment. Installing the new bushings don't seem to require a tool. Parts seem to be about $25 per side + alignment of course.

I think you should have the book because this job can be a bit dangerous in terms of jacking the vehicle properly and also a safety issue in doing the install correctly.

• lacat 11/12/08 4:50 pm PST

I was told ,and I have work on cars before jack under frame ,block it ,pull tire they should be right there,do I have to remove the ball joint????

I guess not if you don't wish to replace the entire control arm, no. Not a bad idea, though, to replace the ball joints if they are originals. Certainly worth checking them.

Top Suspension Experts View More