Edmunds Answers



  • karjunkie 09/23/09 1:26 pm PST

    The new car is titled to the dealer so only he can transfer tittle to you. I don't know of any dealer that charges much for this so there is no need to do it yourself.

  • Stever@Edmunds 09/23/09 3:50 pm PST

    I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't be able to title the new car yourself but maybe a car dealer will reply in here and relate what legal requirements their state puts on them when they sell new cars.

    Your local DMV should be able to tell you what steps are required in your area. Dealers make a big deal about treating everyone equally, so they charge everyone a big doc fee while having a runner take the paperwork to DMV.

    More states should regulate these types of fees since this is mostly just another profit center for the dealers, and doesn't represent the effort required.

    Cash for Clunkers was a fun exception - dealers actually had to work to get the paperwork right.

    Focus on the out the door price and you won't have to worry about doc fees and the like though.

  • volvomax 09/23/09 3:54 pm PST

    Most states have laws governing who can handle an MSO. The dealer must do it.
    This is to insure that all information is accurate, especially WRT lien holders, taxes, etc.

  • greg85 09/23/09 4:28 pm PST


    You have to let the dealer register the car the dealer has a dealer number that has to be used with a new report of sale form that only the dealer can fill out, the dealer has to register your car, and obtain for you a registration with in this case no leinholder, and make sure that a pink slip is issued to you directly, trust me I do this for a living and it is not as easy as one might think, save tyourself the trouble and let the dealer complete the dmv work, also note that the white report of sale that is put in your windshield is good for 120 days now not 90 as before.

  • Stever@Edmunds 09/23/09 4:28 pm PST

    It seems to vary from state to state. I'd be curious to hear what form(s) your state requires.

    One unofficial VA DMV site simply says "If you do your customers the courtesy of handling their title and registration paperwork when you sell them a car, you will need Form VSA 17A (Application for Certificate of Title and Registration)."

    Here in Idaho, the DMV has a "special" form #3204 for dealers to use. It's literally 7 blanks to fill in - title type, owner's name, make, year, VIN, control number and fees.

    If you are financing, then the bank will have their own requirements.

    Maybe y'all can define your terms - white sheets, pink slips, the new red flag regs, etc.

    Doesn't look like rocket science looking in from the outside, so shed some more light for us please.


Top Car Buying Options Experts View More

Rank Leader Points
1. Stever@Edmunds 695
2. morin2 645
3. MrShift@Edmunds 615
4. texases 540
5. karjunkie 230
6. knowledgepower 195
7. zaken1 125