Answers

• tony78 08/07/08 5:00 pm PST

try jiggling the steering wheel back and forth,,is the car still under warranty ? the problem could be anything from a worn ignition switch,sector switch,tranny interlock etc.,,if your a qualified mechanic you may have to remove steering wheel to gain acess,,if not a qualified mech. best thing to do would be to have a trained technician look at it,,
    Your car has an air bag,,if you do not have necessary skills,,tools,,etc.,,the air bag could explode in your face,,causing serious injury or death,,if you attempted to work on this system.

• wickedxwar 08/07/08 6:11 pm PST

I had a 2000 ford focus a few years ago and the same thing happened to me, only my key would not turn at all or come out at all, I had to take the car to the dealer, it turns out it was the ignition cylinder that needed replacement, fyi i think its common in ford foci.

• budice69 08/07/08 6:56 pm PST

ya unfortunately it's not under warranty that ran out, and not a mechanic, i had tried moving the steering wheel but nothing either. i think the shop told me it was gonna be $89 with parts and labor

• 84skyblue 08/08/08 12:49 am PST

I have a 2000 Focus with the exact same problem. I had the cylinder replaced abut 3 years ago (aftermarket) and it's doing the same thing again. I remove my key by turning the car off, moving the ignition switch halfway between off and on and pull the key out. Cylinder replacement will run you about $120.

Source: I own a Focus

Top Electrical Ignition Experts View More