Answers

If you actually mean "brake pads and rotors", then 50,000 would not be unusual. They should be able to give you an exact value for pad thickness (mine measures it at every tire rotation). Have they?

Brake pads and rotors are not replaced at mileage intervals, but on an as-needed basis. My son recently replaced his OEM brake pads at 50K miles and I replaced the OEM pads on a 10 year old car at 120K miles. We drive the same roads, but have different driving styles. I coast and use the brakes only when necessary.

I suspect your dealer meant rotors and not wheel cylinders. Rotors can usually be "turned" at least once before they need to be replaced.

• profwatson 05/27/15 11:18 am PST

I have over 70K miles on my 2011 ES and it is fine. I downshift a lot to save on the brakes. I will turn in the vehicle at 100k and get a new car. Never done any maintenance except oil changes and I do my own engine air filter and cabin filter changes. No repairs either. No leaks either. I live in soCal, so no hard winters or extreme heat. All city and freeway driving. Did replace the battery after 4 years as preventivite maintenance, and new tires after 50K miles.

• champion2211 05/29/15 1:31 pm PST

It all depends on your driving habits. If you make hard stops all the time you probably are in need of brakes at 50,000 and if you ride the brake pedal they might need brakes sooner. I have seen brakes last almost 80,000. It is up to your driving habit. Usually easy does it might just last a long time. It's up to you. Just keep checking them and if you hear a squeal when pushing the pedal, thats the sensor for the brakes telling you it is time. Good luck.

Source: Champion2211

Top Brakes Experts View More