Answers

• volvomax 07/30/08 2:03 pm PST

There is no simple answer.
    A 2005 car is coming up on 4 model years old.
    So, at 12k/yr it should have around 48k on the odo.
    Some cars could have 30k, some could have 50k.
    According to KBB, 51k is the point at which miles become a deduct rather than an add.

Also, it depends on the type of car. Miles hurt lux cars more than say a Honda or Toyota.

• sergelbergeron 09/03/08 9:49 pm PST

Another way of looking at it is how much milleage is left on the car warranty and how much milleage are you expecting to drive in a year. If the car has 50,000 miles but you have a 100,000 miles garantee. So in essence 50,000 left - if you drive 10,000 a year, it means this car could be good for you for another 5 years - of course you have to also check the remaining years on the warranty. So to me, the question is how long do you expect to use this car and does the milleage on the odometer allow you to meet this expectation. Each person will have a different answer to this question.

Source:  [ Link Not Allowed ]

• xnewman1 10/20/08 5:21 pm PST

The true condition of a car is very difficult to determine by mileage alone; therefore, mileage is one of only many concerns when buying a used car. A 2005 car that has been beaten up off-road and what-not, with only 30k on the meter, is not necessarily in better shape than a car driven carefully on highways for 50k miles. A more important concern should be, besides condition of the car, what's left of the warranty. Are the factory warranties still in effect? Many bumper-to-bumper warranties are good for 3 or 4 years, in which cases, most 2005's now see their warranties expired regardless of mileage. A reputable dealer would have a solid backup warranty policy in place for cars that are outside the mileage of the other vehicles, or will make warranties readily accessible. Also ask for a CARFAX or Autocheck Vehicle History Report on any vehicle to ensure its quality. After all, it's not just how many miles are on it, but how many miles you expect to drive it going forward, that count.

• m4d_cow 12/30/08 2:06 pm PST

The answer varies widely, but in average cars are usually driven 12-14k miles a year. Anymore than that is considered high mileage. A 4 year old, assuming normal use, shouldn't have more than 54k miles on it max.
    Also, the more important thing is to check out the service history. A car can have only 10k miles but on the verge of breaking down, while another with 60k that's been driven carefully, religiously serviced and maintained can expect to live another hundred k miles with no major problem. The way the owner drives matters, a lot.
    As for deductible, it also varies by make-model and your area. I don't know much but I've been told that the maximum you can deduct is 2% off vehicle price for popular models, and up to 3% for less popular ones. Unless the mileage is ridiculously high, think 25k a year and over, then you can deduct by about 4-4.5% off price depending on model. No concrete source here, just what my uncle (who used to work at a Honda dealership) told me.

• Honda_of_Lisle 02/09/09 3:25 pm PST

I work for a Honda dealer outside of Chicago at Honda of Lisle. When dealing with used cars there's not really a dollar amount that you can set as a deduction for overage on mileage. The typical driver should be around 12,000 miles per year. Although 15,000 now a days is not uncommon. Anything over that, I would be weary. You can find me at www.hondaoflisle.com .

Lee S.

Source: www.hondaoflisle.com

Top Car Buying Experts View More