• avatar mcdawgg 06/26/13 9:27 pm PST

It is really not that much different or harder than an old filter. You use a 65mm 14 flute cap wrench to remove it. Don't unscrew it all the way at first - let the oil drain out before pulling it all the way off. Pull out the old filter element and old o-ring, clean up the canister, then put in new filter element and lube the o-ring, put on o-ring, lube the o-ring again, and screw it back together. The instructions are on the box of the Toyota filter. I highly recommend using a Toyota filter, from dealer or order on-line from a dealer. Order a case from the right place on line and it is much cheaper.

As far as how tight to get it, you can just mark the filter housing and put a matching reference mark on the silver engine block casting before you unscrew the housing. Then, just tighten back up to the mark. But, you can just tell by feel - it will just stop tightening suddenly, and you are done.

The "locking tab" does not lock it in place - don't worry about it.

Youtube has some good videos if you want to see it there first.

One piece of advice - remove the canister filter first, THEN the drain plug. The canister filter does take a good bit of force to unscrew.

It is not hard at all IF you have the proper cap wrench. Toyota dealers sell the proper ones for $15, and you may be able to get one cheaper at an autoparts store, but I'd rather use the right tool for the job. Basically, it is just the proper cap wrench.

I have done about 15 oil changes with the new canister oil filters - zero problems. Are the old type filters easier? Yes, but it only takes me another 5 minutes, and pretty much all the makers are using this type of filter now. Toyotas still are VERY easy to work on compared to other makes.

Answers

• mcdawgg 06/26/13 9:27 pm PST

Top Oil Experts View More

7. coolrunning 200