Answers

• alaskanj 03/22/10 9:15 pm PST

Interesting..... Your fuel pump is located in your gas tank.... So unless its your fuel pump relay in the fuse box. then no its got nothing to do with the fuel pump.....Which relays did you change out and did you change them all? If it were a relay while the noise is happening you would be able to put your hand on a relay and FEEL which one was the noise maker without hurting yourself.. beware of your surroundings and all moving parts while the engine is running.....Keep probing around till you find the source of the noise or until you can identify exactly what it is then we can help you even more..

You can reply in this thread by clicking the Answer this Question button and that will help keep all the information in one spot. Thanks!

Are you talking about the relay box in the engine compartment? Okay, those two relays are fuel pump (top one) and EGI (fuel delivery, injectors) on the bottom.

• rva2009 03/29/10 7:56 pm PST

You're right, I have replaced both of the relays including the fuel pump & EGI.

Yet, the sound is still coming from the spare fuse box and it only occurs when the engine has been shut out and then a couple of minutes later it happens. I have taken out one of the relays and the noise stops but I can't turn the engine as it's out. It's the strangest thing to say the least. Any ideas or suggestions on what to do next?

I think you need a mechanic's ear on this. We are too far away to diagnose noises unfortunately. Obviously there is another component located in that area that we don't have experience with. This is after all a 12 year old car and not a common one at that.

Record the sound and post it as an MP3 file?

• jpflux 10/03/10 2:36 am PST

you said the noise continued when the motor was stopped, this could have something to do with power distribution in relation to the EVAP self testing which is done after the car is shut off and hot soaks, I not entirely sure about this but since the car is not able to start after removing this particular item which eliminated the noise, the fault is probably in relation to fuel delivery or pcm computer management. there could be a intermittent short somewhere in these areas. but very bizzare fault and uncommon

• russman113 02/28/11 4:31 pm PST

I have a 1999 KIA Sportage, and its doing the SAME thing. Its a short somewhere that is causing it. If you disconnect your positive in the battery, get a can of electric parts cleaner, and take the relays out. You want to spray the inlet for the relay, take off the clips on the bottom of the whole box and also spray in there.Do not be shy with the cleaner, theres alot of dirt and dust. Let that sit and dry for atleast a few minutes, as it IS flammable. After I did that, I plugged the relay in and no buzzing for alittle while.

If that doesnt fix it than you must locate the short. Im not a mechanic but this is what ive tried, and it worked temporarily. The next day I woke up to it buzzing, I remove the relay when I turn the car off and plug it back in when ready to drive. Its not your fuel pump, or your crankshaft sensor, its a loose, cracked or messed wire somewhere. If you know somebody that is good with electrical its probably a very easy fix. this just happened to me a few days ago. Once the car is started it doesnt buzz. Although I drove it to advance auto and had the computer connected to see the engine codes, and there were cylinder misfires, fuel pump and crankshaft sensor light. the KIA was also sputtering and almost stalled. After I cleaned it that stopped.

In a few days im going to disconnect that whole box and see if one of my relay wires is loose.

Source: My own trial and error.

• rpweaver 11/05/12 5:29 am PST

I also have a 1999 KIA Sportage 4x4 that started buzzing 2 days ago. I pulled the relay and it stopped. The buzzing doesn't start until a few seconds after the key is turned off. The car has 118k miles on it. I thought maybe the engine temperature may have something to do with it but it doesn't. If you leave the relay connected, it will drain the battery. There are wiring diagrams posted on Just Answers for a 2000 Sportage. One expert claims the white wire with a blue trace is probably shorted. The relay is always hot so I can believe this is probably the issue. Whether it is a broken insulation or another bad component is another question. Since it is not intermittant, I have a feeling another component has failed and shares the same ground and is causing the problem. (according to the diagram, this wire is connected to the engine control module, EGI main relay control) I have a check engine light. It is complaining about the O2 sensor heater bank 1. One other issue that I have had since I bought the car 2 years ago is that it idles rough at times and seems to engage the transmission while stopped when the engine surges to try to keep from stalling. This is intermittant. This seems to be a common problem and should have a common answer. I will continue to look but would appreciate an answer if it has already been solved. Thanks.

Source: http://www.justanswer.com/kia/3xhu7-200
    0...

Top Kia Sportage Experts View More