Edmunds Answers



  • MrShift@Edmunds 01/26/13 2:48 pm PST

    It's illegal in California to install an older motor and even if nobody noticed it would still probably not pass your next smog test. So the only way you'd get away with that is if the vehicle were off-road only and not used on public roads.

    What's wrong with the engine that's in it?

  • tedd50 01/26/13 2:51 pm PST

    The 87 Mazda motor is loaded with smog stuff, 20 some lines going to an $800.00 carb. Can't find smog equipment to fix it, tired of working on a boat anchor.

  • MrShift@Edmunds 01/26/13 5:25 pm PST

    Oh yeah I remember those carburetors---nasty business.

    Well I don't know how you can beat the smog game--I suppose you could try to find a Weber carb and manifold, (if they make that application) and then every 2 years switch back the old carb and manifold for the smog test.

    There may also be fuel injection systems in the aftermarket world.

    You are allowed up UPGRADE a motor, if you want to spring for a newer model year Mazda engine, but then you'd have to research compatibility, and also how all the electronics would work.

    In the final analysis, it might be cheaper to give that carburetor to an expert who knows how to rebuild them, than to try and mess with conversions in a strict smog state.

    I do know that some parts of California are not as strict as others, so look into that.

    Right now, a Weber conversion looks like your best shot---but you'll have to bolt on the old stuff when you go for the smog certificate.


Top Engine Swap Experts View More

Rank Leader Points
1. MrShift@Edmunds 935
2. zaken1 855
3. karjunkie 565
4. texases 285
5. tony78 130
6. Mr_Shiftright 100
7. colin_l 85