• avatar tony78 01/01/09 8:32 pm PST

yes.

if there was any damage you would'nt be able to tell by peering into the drain plug opening.

hopefully you can just add some fluid and there won't be any damage.

then you will be able to find the leak.

Answers

• tony78 01/01/09 8:32 pm PST

yes.

then you will be able to find the leak.

• sabohanan 04/01/09 12:13 pm PST

We own the same truck with 4x4 and the transfer case has a hole in it. All the oil slings out when we are driving. Supposedly this was a mfg default that they never did a recall on since it was not a hazard. What did you find out about yours? We are checking into replacing the transfer case cover but we have been told it will just do it again. What do you do about it then? Makes you not want another chev.

• ripper3 10/17/10 11:37 pm PST

There is a small pinhole on the passenger side of these transfer cases. I cleaned mine up with carb cleaner and put some liquid steel on the case with my finger about 20000 miles ago and it is dry. It seems to be a casting flaw and a new case is costly. Try my repair first as you won't be out more than a few dollars. watch close for a return leak so it does not run out of oil. ( the hole is very small and looks like a small pebble on the case )

• nevermind69 07/15/12 10:38 am PST

I have the same problem with my transfer case and I called the Simmons talk show on the radio and talked to the mechanics hosting the show they said that this transfer case has plastic forks in it and they get hot when it runs out of fluid and fail, it runs out of fluid due to a planned obsolescence design,they were well experienced in this problem said it is very common in these trucks and that I should definitely not use a rebuilt transfer case or a new gmc transfer case,because it would be the same problem all over again, I also believe this is well known to gmc, but just like Chevy to not stand behind there product and own there mistake, the host said that they used these inferior plastic forks to save costs in manufacturing the vehicle, just like gmc to plan the death of there own truck hoping that we will buy a new one when this one fails! Shame on you GMC!

When it is time to replace this truck I will be more inclined to look at the other manufactures, and vote with my wallet! A transfer case should be built tuff, ths was not a cheap truck but they used cheap parts!

Top Transmission Automatic Experts View More

4. fordfan_17 830