Answers

• isellhondas 04/04/11 1:12 pm PST

How necessary?

I believe that is an interference engine. If it snaps, it can ruin your engine. If it's a non-interference engine and it breaks you will be stranded. If it breaks in heavy traffic or on the freeway it could be dangerous.

It could last another 50,000 miles or it could snap tomorrow.

So, you decide.

The engine design used in your 2004 Isuzu Rodeo V-6 is called an "interference engine." This type of engine can be seriously damaged if the timing belt breaks or jumps out of position. That is why it is vitally important to not go longer than the recommended interval before replacing the belt. The Edmunds maintenance schedule; which is taken from Isuzu's recommendations, specifies that the timing belt on this vehicle should be replaced at 100,000 miles.

• isellhondas 04/04/11 1:21 pm PST

I believe it's 105,000 miles or every seven years whichever comes first. Honda Passports and Rodeos were the same car with different nameplates.

Most shops will reccomend replacing the seals, water pump and other belts at the same time while they are "in there".

I know I would have those parts changed too. It's a big expense but then you are good for another 100K or seven years.

• patrick88 04/04/11 7:13 pm PST

for severe driving 75,000 miles is recommended

Top Isuzu Rodeo Experts View More

7. rustywer 35