Answers

It's not uncommon for an engine to burn a little oil, and that's not an indication of anything seriously wrong. In fact, it's probably good for the upper valve area to have a bit of oil to burn.

However, it is worth monitoring to make sure this situation does not deteriorate into something which *is* a problem.

My rule of thumb is that if an engine consisently and year after year burns the same small amount of oil, it's fine. If the amount of oil consumed increases year by year or month by month, this is worth checking further with a Cylinder Leakdown Test to see what's going on.

It's up to you to keep a record of oil consumption and if you notice it increasing you should report it to the dealer at about a quart every 1500 miles. That's my red flag for concern (on a newer engine). On an older car, even 1500 is fine.

An engine can burn a reasonable amount of oil and run forever--it doesn't affect longevity or smog tests as long as it is not ridiculously excessive.

Transmission: I can't really say because I don't know what RPM it is shifting at.

• campbell10 07/07/10 5:40 pm PST

My van is burning oil as well but at a more alarming rate. My van burned 21/2 qts in 2000 miles. This is the second time it has happened and already been in to be fixed once. They are telling me something may have to be done to the engine after another oil consumption test. Bottom line is I don't think they are trying to do anything for this money pit. I only have 25,000 miles on the vehicle and fortunately it falls under warranty, but the breaks, front tires that needed to be replaced at 22,000 miles didn't

• annfromjersey 01/15/11 12:13 pm PST

My T&C is burning oil too. At first when it happened I was over due for a oil change in 7/2010. My oil light came on one time! I pulled over into the bank and it came on again, so I knew something was wrong. I checked the oil and it was empty - completely empty. I would have blown my engine if I hadn't stop at the bank. Across the stree was a hardware store so I purchased 3 quarts so that I could get the car to the dealership. Turns out that I had a oil leak in my lower manifold! I never had one drop of oil in the driveway! I would have ruined my engine with 21000 miles. I have never had a car burn oil like that. Even my 11 yr old Ford Explorer doesn't burn oil like that.

Since then I have had two oil changes. Today, 1/15/2011, my oil light came on again. One time that's it. My husband just checked and my engine was completely empty again!

The car goes back to the dealership on Monday for the 2nd time in a month. The other was a sliding door recall. What a piece of crap this car is!

Top Chrysler Town and Country Experts View More