• avatar knowledgepower 05/28/12 6:49 am PST

In any state if you have no actual contract on a purchased vehicle meaning you're not approved yet then you have no deal. The Finance Manager or the salesperson would call you explaining more money is needed to complete the deal because the finance company has approved a certain amount and you are probably $700 away from a deal. I would cancel the deal and go to another dealer based on how you were threatened to come up with money in one hour. You are entitled all of your down payment money to be refunded but these guys are going to take there time giving it back, the best bet is to speak with the GM of the dealer or the owner and report whoever spoke to you in that unprofessional manner. I think the knucklehead who threatened you got caught up in the heat of the moment and stuck his foot in his money and they many times do. They can't "repo" a vehicle you don't own. Get your money back and find a dealer that has a little more professional attitude in how they treat customers, you are still a customer regardless of credit situation, income, or gender.

Answers

• knowledgepower 05/28/12 6:49 am PST

• morin2 05/28/12 8:45 am PST

Yes, go back, return the car and give them an hour to refund your deposit. If they balk at refunding your deposit in full, don't threaten or bluff, but go directly to small claims court and fill out the papers for a small claims suit against them. If they don't refund your deposit quickly, then they'll pay up a day before the court date.

You should not be financing a 10 year old car. Save your cash and buy outright. The only lenders who will finance a car this old will have such poor terms for you that you should not consider such a deal.

California has pretty good consumer protection laws. If the dealer gives you any more flack, in addition to the small claims suggestion, the BBB occasionally helps, as can your local District Attorney's office. If it's a franchised auto dealer, California's AutoCap (Automotive Consumer Action Program) may help. Just mentioning to the dealer that your next step will be the DA or AutoCap may be enough to convince them to back down and unwind the deal

Unwinding the Deal — What Are Your Rights?

(Oh, if the dealer says they have a valid contract then why is the dealer trying to rewrite it and get another $700 up-front?)

• dizzydizzle 05/30/12 12:58 am PST

Ok so since this post I spoke to the main manager and she told me not to worry but she tried to repo the car today... She told me over the phone yesterday that I had been approved and to bring the rest of the down payment... 700 dollars. I got home from work today came inside to rest and my sister comes inside and tells me that they're gonna repo the car ... I go out there and they tell me the finance company didn't approve me.. I explained too them that I had just talked to the manager yesterday and she said I was approved. Luckily the man was very very nice and gave me a chance to turn in the car myself tomorrow. Should I demand my down payment back?? I don't know what to do at this point anymore. I'm struggling and being assed out my money isn't good on my part I'm really stressing it!!!!!! Help!!!!

Yes, get your down payment back.

I suppose you could tell the manager that you'll return the car after your get your money back. And then manage to "forget" where you parked the car until the money shows up.

Top Car Financing Experts View More

7. boomchek 280