• avatar actualsize 06/03/08 8:37 pm PST

Agreed. With 17k miles, let them fix it on their nickel. Don't waste your time and money. It could be the park interlock solenoid, which releases the lever only after the car confirms you have your foot on the brake. If so, either the solenoid is bad, the brake switch that sends the signal to the solenoid is bad, or the wiring in between isn't right. But the check engine light alone tells me you're better off letting the dealer diagnose this.

Answers

• bandit10 06/03/08 8:26 pm PST

It might need a cable adjustment. But I would let the dealer handle this. If you attempt a repair and it fails the dealer can put the blame on you. You have a valid warranty use it. It could also be the key locking mechinism is broken and not letting your shift into gears.

• actualsize 06/03/08 8:37 pm PST

• yellowvette 06/03/08 8:37 pm PST

Try putting your foot on the brake while sitting in the driver seat,as far as the check engine light probably just emissions problems,If this don't work for shifting issue,CALL DEALER,you are under WARRANTY--IF needed remind them 17,000 miles only!! And you can also go to------www.alldata.diy.com for recall bullentins or TSB'S(service bullentins for your Sprinter) ,it's free! Dealers will be surprized when you tell them bullentin numbers!(tsb)

• 0patience 06/03/08 9:18 pm PST

Others have addressed the check engine light.

But to address the shifter, as was stated, step on the brake pedal, does it shift out of park?
    If no, then step on the brake pedal and have someone see if the brake lights come on.
    If no, check the fuses.

If the lights come on, turn the ignition key to where no lights come on, but it releases the steering wheel lock. Set the park brake and see if it shifts out of park. If it does, then power to the shift lock actuator isn't getting to it.
    If it doesn't shift out of park, there is a problem with the shift lock actuator.

There is a manufacturer's service bulletin for the shift problem and may be related to the check engine light coming on.
    You will need to have the dealer reflash the PCM.

Here is a summary of it.
    A/T - Shift Lever Won't Move Out of PARK/DTC0007

NUMBER: 18-041-07

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: September 7, 2007
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    The vehicle operator may experience:
    ^ Shift lever will not move from "Park".
    ^ Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 0007; "Electronic Shift Module Internal is set in the ESM.
    REPAIR PROCEDURE - REFLASH PCM

• jonquale 06/18/08 12:16 pm PST

Go to www.sprinter-source.com. Choose the forum menu. They have a wealth of information on Sprinters, including recalls, part numbers, photos, expert comments, etc. They cover all type Sprinters.

• bstav321 01/19/09 3:15 pm PST

I have the same problem with my 2004 Dodge Sprinter, I went to work in the morning it worked fine, then I went to go home and went to shift into reverse but it's jammed into the park position and wont budge. I have 118,000 miles though.

• texastina 12/13/10 10:40 am PST

Hello, When the Sprinter Won't Shift its the KEY. The Ignition KEY. Try one of your spare keys & It should start right up.

Hubbys Sprinter would NOT shift, I read these posts on here, he grabbed a spare key, and it worked immediatley.
    Maybe the Computor chip or battery was low/dead in the original key hes used for 3 years & wouldn't send signal to start the van.

• bromo911 06/22/13 12:04 pm PST

2006 SPRINTER 3500. With stuck shift lever. Yellovetter saved my behind. I did just as he said and my brake lights did NOT go on. All the fuses were fine. The other key did not fix things. I went UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL AND JUST ABOVE THE BRAKE PEDAL WHERE THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH IS. I UNSPRUNG THE SWITCH WITH MY FINGERNAIL SEVERAL TIMES AND GOT IT TO WORK. I THEN SPRAYED LIBERAL AMOUNTS OF WD40 ON THE SWITCH AND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM SINCE..

Thanks for this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Engine Experts View More