• avatar sa93 09/06/09 9:28 pm PST

Its very common with power seats in Ford Explorers heres a easy fix without removing the seat.
    Raise the seat as high as it can go. Look under the seat from the front you will see two long threaded rods. Move it back and forth and you will be able to tell which side is jammed. For me it was the one most toward the drivers door and it usually is always this one. Get a pliers on the rod and turn it clockwise to loosen it all it needs is a quarter of a turn to un jam it and your done. If its the other rod it will need to be turn counter clockwise. This should do the trick. From SA93

Answers

• bandit10 06/07/08 2:35 am PST

Have your Wife or friend try moving the seat while you spray silicone lubricant on the moving track mechinism, this just might free it up with someone trying to move the seat, it happened to me on my Riviera power seat. It froze in the same position yours has all the way forward. If the passenger seat is power lubricate that as well, it can't hurt.

• scerin 07/20/08 5:32 pm PST

Were you able to fix the problem? This just happened to my Ford Explorer today and cannot move it back.

Thanks!

• rwbutler4 08/12/08 10:51 pm PST

THIS JUST HAPPENED TO MY 2002 EXPLORER TOO. THE DEALER WANT $2600 TO REPLACE THE SYSYEM. I STILL NEED A GOOD FIX. DOES ANY ONE HAVE A GOOD FIX??

• nsareen 12/19/08 4:12 pm PST

Did you guys figure it out - mine did the same exact thing - same year.

• resgbob 03/17/09 7:50 am PST

I also have a 2002 Ford Explorer. I had the same thing happen...too far forward and it got stuck in that position.

I found the cause and here is the solution;

1.Take all 4 bolts out that fasten the seat to the frane and tilt the seat back, it will rest on the steering wheel so you can see the mechanisim under the seat.

2. You will be able to see a long screw shaft on each side of the seat. Cycle the forward/rearward control back & forth while observing the screw shafts. One will likely move a bit and one will stay fixed.

3. The one that does not move has tightened itself to the end of the shaft head and the fixed screw block like a nut & bolt. This is the cause of the problem. The prevention would have been some limit sensor to prevent travel that far.

4. It will require the removal of the screw block so you can loosen it from the end of the screw shaft. This will require a "star" type socket to unfasten the fixed screw block from the seat frame. If you do not have this tool, which I didn't, use a pipe wrench or vice grip to loosen it.

5. If you have the right side, when you drop that shaft and block down away from the seat frame, cycle the control to the rear position and it will move the seat back to a normal distance.

6. Using a rag or shop towel to hold the shaft so you don't damage the threads in the shaft, yoou should be able to loosen the block from the head of the shaft, like loosing a nut and bolt.

7. It will now be possible to rotate the screw block back to a position the same as the other side. Do not replace it to the frame just yet, it may be off when the seat frame is re-fastened to the vehicle frame.

8. Fasten the seat back onto the vehicle frame with the 4 bolts. This will assure proper alignment of the seat frame.

9. Now (it's tight) adjust the screw block so it lignes up with the hole it fits into the seat frame and tighten it back up.

That's all it takes! I think I spent 6 hrs. of yesterday afternoon figureing this out. I hope this helps someone.

Bob

• sa93 09/06/09 9:28 pm PST

• whiplash77 11/17/09 10:20 pm PST

I fixed this for a friend and I did exactly what Bob stated above. My friend's wife took it to the Ford dealer in Middleton Wi. They supposedly "looked" at it for 45mins charged her $50 to say that the power seat mechanism and motor were bad and it was going to cost $1200 to repair. The odd thing is the seat still went up and down and you could see that it was trying to operate back and forth. So the dealer pretty much lied and didn't diagnose it at all.
    If the seat goes up and down, then the motor is fine as there's only one motor under the seat that handles both up/down and front/back operations. The gears could be broke inside, but you'd probably hear different sounds then the seat just clicking as it's trying to go front to back.

I took the seat up and removed the star bolts, ran it and found which one side was stuck. Broke it loose by putting a locking needle nose pliers at the very front of the long threaded rod where if the threads would get slightly damaged it wouldn't affect operation. The very front threads are so far forward they don't actually go through the screwing mechanism. Then with another pair of pliers I twisted the thread block loose. I slathered the threaded rods with grease especially at the back where they were jammed.

As mentioned in other posts, grease can't overcome a design flaw, but it does help. Plus it makes it feel like you did something other than just break it loose. Your best bet is to not put the seat all the way forward. Or buy a new vehicle.

• zlatanv 08/30/11 11:13 pm PST

My passanger side seat was stuck on one side. I raised the seat up and tried to loosen the threaded rod but the seat still wouldn't move. After closer examination of the motor I noticed on each side of the motor there is a flexible coil shaft with a black casing. On one side of the motor the cable had been pulled out, it has a square end on the coil shaft. I reinserted the coil shaft into the motor and it worked fine. You have to flex the shaft enough for the end to go into the side of the motor straight on, it slides in about an inch.

• virtuouzone 04/06/12 5:55 am PST

I have a solution that is even EASIER! Just put your hand under the seat by the switch that makes the seat move, feel for the coiled wire which is less than an inch from the cover. When you can feel this wire, hold it then try to move the seat. So far, this is what I've found to be my problem. As long as I hold it, my seat will move forward. It will go every direction without holding the wire but forward.
    I know I'm late but this just happened to my 2004 Explorer. It's been over a month that my driver seat stopped going forward, I've searched the web for solutions but nothing worked since my seat was stuck in the middle and covered the back bolt which everyone seems to suggest needs removed to find and fix this issue.
    Much to my surprise my brother found this quick fix that seems to work. He also told me to get some electrical wire spray, don't have a name for it or where to get it just yet but I'll share when I do, and spray it into the connector to clean it and if this works than my connection could be just dirty but if not at my discretion I can change this wire or continue to put my hand under there to move the seat back to a comfortable position. You can see this coiled wire when looking under the seat from the back.

Top Ford Explorer Experts View More