Edmunds Answers



  • tony78 10/11/09 11:12 pm PST

    You should be able to find this information in the owners manual,,or try this website,,,conversion.com

    You can take your cubic inch measurement and convert it to cubic centimeters :)

    Source: conversion dot com

  • morin2 10/12/09 10:18 am PST

    In the old days, we all referred to engine sizes in cubic inches and some of us remember the endless discussions at high school lunch tables about their 283, 289, 327, 383, 390, 427, etc. Those numbers were volume measurements - or approximations of the total cylinder displacement in cubic inches. In those days the only foreign cars were the occasional British car or a VW. Once the Japanese cars began to make a dent in the US market, we began to hear metric volumes. For some of us, this was the first time we heard of metric anything. The pendulum has swung all the way now and everything is in metric volume.

    If you know the cubic inch volume, multiply it x 16.387064 = cubic cm volume. So for you, that is 1490 cubic cm or ml. Since there are 1000 ml per liter, then divide by 1000 and you have 1.49 liter. Since that level of precision is unnecessary, the manufacturer would call this a 1.5 liter engine. And when you look up which engines were available in 1995, you see a 1.5 liter for the DX and LX trim levels and a 1.8 liter for the ES.


Top Mazda Protege Experts View More

Rank Leader Points
1. MrShift@Edmunds 220
2. zaken1 165
3. karjunkie 120
4. downtube 60
5. Stever@Edmunds 35
6. 0patience 25
7. bepperb 25