• avatar boomchek 05/12/09 7:57 pm PST

Look for one ton diesels (Ram 3500, Ford F350, GMC/Chev 3500) as they would be most capable of towing12k pounds or more

You might be able to find something that is 2-3 years old, with decent miles, and in decent shape.

When looking for a truck, it is better to find something that can tow more than you need, rather than less, or exact capacity of your trailer in case you load up your truck and trailer with extra cargo and occupants.

When figuring out the trailer weight and towing capacities, check to make sure that the max towing capacity is based on. Usually max towing will be with one or two occupants and no more than few hundred punds of cargo in the truck. So if you carry more people and a lot of heavy cargo, then your max towing weight will be less. Also make sure you know the trailer weight with all the furniture inside, luggage, and anything extra you may have.

Now for the truck specs, check the towing capacity specs carefully as even trucks with identical powertrain but different axle ratios can have a towing capacity difference of as much as 3000 or more pounds.

Example
    08 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel, Short Box 4X4 Quad Cab Automatic
    with 3.73 axle ratio - max towing is 13900 lbs
    with 4.10 axle ratio - max towing is 16900 lbs

Good luck.

Answers

• tony78 05/11/09 10:39 pm PST

Why don't we start with, how much money do you want to spend ?

• maumees 05/12/09 8:34 am PST

20K to 25K not necessarily looking for a new truck.

That's a lot of weight - 6 tons. If it was my trailer, I would be looking at 3500 series (1 ton) Chevy, Ford or Dodge pickups. I know people who have all three and love them. 3500 series trucks will have bigger brakes to help you bring that trailer under control - at least as important as being able to pull it. The 5.9 Cummins turbodiesel might be my preference - but when it comes down to making a choice, I'd decide based on what my mechanic could work on and condition. The torque from these diesels is a wonderful thing, they ride like a limo, and have plenty of room in crew-cab ("quad") version. You should be able to pick up a nice used one from 2004-2006, but may have to travel a bit to find a nice low mileage example.

Diesel fuel has gotten much cleaner while gasoline has become watered down with ethanol. There is no way that I'd consider a gas truck to tow 12K regularly. The other advantage of diesel is that it can sit in the truck and not degrade with time. Modern gas with 10% ethanol will keep absorbing water and phase seperate in the tank.

While I might be more tempted by the Dodge with the Cummins, I would not pass up an outstanding example of the Ford or Chevy 3500 diesels. Have it fully checked out by your diesel mechanic. Also check out the diesel forums here on Edmunds forums.

6 tons? That would be a very *serious* truck. You can forget about 1500s and probably 2500s too.

Not sure you're going to make your budget, by the time you factor in the right packages and hitches and auxiliary equipment for safe towing of a load like that.

• boomchek 05/12/09 7:57 pm PST

Example

Good luck.

• tony78 05/14/09 10:40 am PST

just a side note,

,if gasoline is getting " watered down" with ethanol,,,does this mean that ultra low sulfer diesel has been " watered up " ?

I agree with Mr. Shift right,,,

Thats why my question was,,How much money do you want to spend ?

,once we know your proposed budget,,

then we can examine several different options that will be available to you.

20-25k,,10 year old truck at an auction.

A new truck for your purpose starts as a base model at 65k.

Top Truck Experts View More