Answers

Why are you waiting another 2,000 miles? Saving the price of an oil change vs. replacing a $10,000 engine seems like a false economy, even if the risk of damage is, in reality, probably quite small given that you've only done a top-off.

• johngmiller75 12/02/12 2:53 pm PST

My ultimate question is whether the difference in the oil, (using non-specified, albeith fully synthetic), oil is going to cause any damage. Given the choice between driving a quart down versus with a 1 quart top off of non-spec synthetic oil, which is the lesser of two evils. Essentially, how critical is it to use the actual specified oil?

I don't think this question is really answerable other than to say that it would technically violate your warranty, if you still had one. I don't think anyone except perhaps a VW engineer could confidently tell you to 'drive on, no problem". If you want my uneducated opinion, based on what I would do, I wouldn't worry about it if it were my car--but i'm not advising you to do it.

I would have just taken it in a little early for service rather than use a non-specified oil. in my area, Mobil Delvac is available almost everywhere - even at Walmart.

Top Oil Experts View More

7. coolrunning 200